Keyboard map issue

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Zippo, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Zippo

Guest Guest

OK do as stated above but also download 'system-config-keyboard - 1.2.11-3.fc8noarch (it takes forever to download!)

Then do the Alt-F2 and run system-config-keyboard and change to US

After rebooting I thought nothing had happened but when I clicked on my little EN(UK) box at the bottom of my screen it changed to EN(US).
    Unfortunately each time I reboot, change programmes, or connect to Wifi it goes back to UK but at least I can click on the box (twice sometimes for some unknown reason!) and get it back to US!

Guest, Jul 19, 2008
  2. Zippo

jeromlenz

Damn! Same problem for me after the update and several reboots.
    (Didn't notice it first as I played around with multiple settings. UK people must be happy now though! lol)

Let me come back on this, Acer/Linspire guys : you messed up!... Test your updates & give us our setting back!? :evil:

WARNING - US users - don't apply the Live Update yet...
    (As usual, "If it works, don't fix it!"...)

We need a workaround (linux console bulldozer method as nothing else works!)...
    (I tried many things but no success. Damn it!)

Linspire is getting on my nerves, too little support on the web.
    Will be wiped out by Xubuntu 8.04 (+netbook remix) very soon...
    Or even Linux Mint (Xfce variant, based on Xubuntu).
    http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=04996
    http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa_xfce.php
    G'night.

jeromlenz, Jul 19, 2008
  3. Zippo

zaphod

I am still looking for a solution to have an English OS and French keyboard. Even after the latest updates the only fix I have is to open a terminal and type "setxkbmap fr" after every reboot. So here is a question for all you Linux experts - is there not a way to have this command executed automatically at boot ?

zaphod, Jul 19, 2008
  4. Zippo

zaphod

Having read around a bit I have added "setxkbmap fr" to /etc/rc.d/rc.local but that didn't work either :?

zaphod, Jul 19, 2008
  5. Zippo

duane

Just adding my confirmation that this is a real issue. I have a US keyboard (ie shift-2 shows an @ symbol) but cannot get the system to switch from EN(UK), and yes, the irony is not lost on me that some of us are UK folks who cannot get their keyboards to switch from EN(US)! I have followed the steps above (system-config-language foo) and also updated my system just now. The result is that I can indeed change my keyboard to EN(US) for one application, but starting a new application or getting a messsage that my wireless is connected is enough to switch back to EN(UK). I suspect this is not a big problem to fix, but it is quite annoying to new users to not have @ and | keys that work as expected. Hopefully someone at Acer and/or Linpus will respond before this gives their new product a blackeye.

Thanks, Duane

duane, Jul 19, 2008
  6. Zippo

skateasian

i had this problem and thought i was going crazy or something because all my email addresses were wrong! i clicked the little blue square that says EN uk and i didnt notice it changed to us, its small and hard to see, anyways the @ is back to shift 2.

skateasian, Jul 19, 2008
  7. Zippo

zaphod

Not yet having a real solution to the problem I have devised a quick fix. I have created an executable file "f.sh" containing only the line "setxkbmap fr" in it (fr for french). I have then made a keyboard shortcut (Alt+f) to ./f.sh which I use after every boot. It saves me having to open a terminal and type the command manually on a keyboard which doesn't match the map used by the Aspire.

zaphod, Jul 19, 2008
  8. Zippo

nizmo

For us brits users, we now have the @ sign wheres its meant to be and not at the number 2 key, just thought id say if it hasnt been mentioned already

nizmo, Jul 19, 2008
  9. Zippo

pebbles

Just add the following ServerFlags in the file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    the serverflags will prevent that your settings will be overwritten next time...

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "DontZap" "yes"
    Option "DontVTSwitch" "yes"
    # these (2) are added :
    Option "XkbDisable" "yes"
    Option "DisableModInDev" "yes"

EndSection[/b]

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "uk"
    Option "XkbVariant" "euro"
    EndSection

pebbles, Jul 19, 2008
  10. Zippo

jeromlenz

Great! It works fine now at startup with "XkbLayout" "us" only (was "uk,us" before). :D
    Many thx pebbles, our savior! Pebbles4president!!

Command to edit your file for beginners, Alt+F2 and type-in or copy-paste:
    Code:
    sudo mousepad /etc/X11/xorg.conf

jeromlenz, Jul 19, 2008
  11. Zippo

Kev50027

Thank you so much! That fixed the issue! One less One annoyance.

Kev50027, Jul 20, 2008
  12. Zippo

Guest Guest

Thank you worked for me too. I had gb, us in my line and I added the other lines and just left the Xkb layout as US :D

Guest, Jul 20, 2008
  13. Zippo

zaphod

Unfortunately it didn't work for me in my attempts to have an English OS with French keyboard.. I added the two lines and replaced gb,us by fr but to no avail. Is there something else I should have done first ?

zaphod, Jul 20, 2008
  14. Zippo

Andres

Hi all, this is not working for me, i would like to remove scim and icon in control panel :?: and as default Icelandic keyboard , pls let me know how to. Strange thing is that something is overwriting or switching settings in section keyboard in xorg.conf. thx for any reply :D

Andres, Jul 20, 2008
  15. Zippo

Guest Guest

didn't work for me either.
    restored the OS using the Recovery Disk, chose english at the first boot, installed all the available updates, changed xorg.conf adding the two lines and changed the kb layout to "pt" but it got replaced to "gb,us".

Guest, Jul 20, 2008
  16. Zippo

zaphod

Exactly the same for me with English OS and French keyboard.
    I am now in the process of running the recovery disk in the hope that I can obtain a French OS/keyboard combination that will give me no further trouble. If not then it will have to be Ubuntu.

zaphod, Jul 20, 2008
  17. Zippo

zaphod

After recovery when I select "francais" on first boot I still get an English OS and keyboard :shock:

So I am still looking for a fix that will provide the appropriate map for my French keyboard on a permanent basis.

zaphod, Jul 20, 2008
  18. Zippo

jeromlenz

Did you try "system-config-language" and taking French? (page 1)
    Did you load the Live Updates from Acer?
    If I remember well, before applying the LiveUpdates, my system was in French with French keyboard layout.
    (Problem for me as I have a US a1.)
    Good luck.

PS: for sure it's still impossible in Linpus to mix OS language and different keyboard. (Post about Portugese kb + English OS.)

jeromlenz, Jul 20, 2008
  19. Zippo

zaphod

No, I didn't try "system-config-language" as my real goal is English OS with an Azerty keyboard (to have the accents when I type in French). I will maybe give it a go now as having a French OS could be less annoying than having to re-establish the keyboard map after every reboot.
    I did apply the Live Updates.

zaphod, Jul 20, 2008
  20. Zippo

jeromlenz

Yes, it's sad and frustrating it doesn't work.
    I tend to believe more and more that X/Ubuntu netbook remix is the right choice for this netbook.
    Linpus boots-up fast as hell but as soon as any advanced/specific customization is required : it stands in the way!
    /similar to Vista!? :twisted:

jeromlenz, Jul 20, 2008
Ask a Question