Keyboard layout using special characters on Linpus Lite

Discussion in 'Linux' started by haswegen, Oct 3, 2009.

1. haswegen

haswegen

I am unable to get my Aspire One keyboard set up to handle special characters like ê, ü etc. I need these special characters for languages like Afrikaans and German. In Windows it was usually the Alt+<nnn> in applications like Word. In OpenOffice Writer it is possible to insert > special characters, but this method is far from ideal.
    I used SCIM already and left my “Keyboard layout” on “English US-International” and set the IMEngine > Global setup to “Other > English/European”. I also messed around under Settings > keyboard settings and layout but no joy so far..
    Using the Alt Gr and/or the Fn keys is not working as expected.
    Is there anyone out there that may have a suggestion for me on how to get the keyboard layout to allow special characters configured please?
    Thank you
    Herman

haswegen, Oct 3, 2009
  2. haswegen

Japser

Not sure if this works for you, but I use this method:

Hold ctrl and shift and type eb and then release ctrl and shift.

For me this produces: ë

So, 'eb' is the ( 'hexadecimal' ) code for an e with two dots.

More codes:
    Code:
    x=  0123456789abcdef

ex: àáâãäåæçèéêëìíîï
    fx: ðñòóôõö÷øùúûüýþÿ

And for capitals:

Code:
    cx: ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏ
    dx: ÐÑÒÓÔÕÖ×ØÙÚÛÜÝÞß

Actually, any 'unicode' character can be produced with this method, using four digits for the code.
    If the first two digits are zero they can be omitted.

--Japser.

Japser, Oct 3, 2009
  3. haswegen

haswegen

I appreciate the reply Jasper. The Acer Aspire One was a present for an older lady (my mother-in-law) :roll: She lives in a different city alltogether and we have since returned home. I will try your suggestion during the December Holidays in a few weeks time when we go for a visit again and let you know then if it worked.

When convenient, can you please let me know what your particular SCIM and keyboard layout settings are set to?

Thank you again
    Herman

haswegen, Oct 6, 2009
Ask a Question