keyboard layout issues

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by explainit, Jul 30, 2008.

1. explainit

explainit

Having issues with the blue box for my keyboard layout - ever since my last update it switches from EN to UK on its own accord - this changes the keyboard layout and its annoying - u know the little blue box in the menu beside the wifi icon

explainit, Jul 30, 2008
  2. explainit

turbomoonie

i have the same problem, anyone have any suggestions?

turbomoonie, Jul 30, 2008
  3. explainit

shihan

i've found one way to fix this... but its not pretty.

During the startup the system runs a file called /usr/bin/xkb_plugin_set_xorg.sh which based on your locale settings changes how X deals with keyboards. If its en_US (what mine is and the default) it sets the keyboard (for some truely bizare reason) to gb,us.

Now, you can either edit this file and right down the bottom theres a couple of lines that look like this:

Code:
            sed -e '/XkbLayout/c\        Option      "XkbLayout" "gb,us"'\

-e '/XkbVariant/c\        Option      "XkbVariant" "euro"' /etc/X11/xorg.conf > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

that you can change to this:
    Code:
            sed -e '/XkbLayout/c\        Option      "XkbLayout" "us,gb"'\
                -e '/XkbVariant/c\        Option      "XkbVariant" "euro"' /etc/X11/xorg.conf > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

And that will fix the problem (though, why its being done this way is a mystery - i.e. its a cheap hack that doesnt work well).

The alternative is to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.S and comment out the line that calls that file, then edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf so that it says "us,gb" rather than the other way around. Reboot and life is good.

shihan, Jul 30, 2008
Ask a Question