keyboard latch above f2 stuck inside

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by cv65user, Dec 30, 2008.

1. cv65user

cv65user

i was removing my keyboard according to how tos with credit card but my keyboard latch above f2 stuck inside . how do i prise it back out ?

as now the LHS area of the keyb is popping up as nothing to hold it down

cv65user, Dec 30, 2008
  2. cv65user

karu11

i'm with you, the credit card slipped and went right through lol, i'm tempted to search for parts just to see if there is any before i play around prying it out. on the brighter side, it'll be easy to take out once i install the touch screen lol

karu11, Dec 31, 2008
  3. cv65user

karu11

managed to get 2 of the 3 things out, i took a tiny screw driver and pushed the latch out, it was rotated a bit but somehow I managed without breaking the covering. Good enough!

karu11, Dec 31, 2008
  4. cv65user

cv65user

yup i pushed mine tooooo far in

cv65user, Dec 31, 2008
  5. cv65user

absorber1

I did it too , i just took it apart again and carefully pried it back in place , could not stand it not holding keyboard .

My trick to remove key board now is to use credit card and small thinner plastic piece to pop keyboard soon as black tab is pushed in enough use thin plastic to pry up keyboard past black tab leaving in under until all tabs release . I will try to upload pic latter today

absorber1, Jan 1, 2009
  6. cv65user

fleong

I pushed ALL 3 of the tabs in too far. I actually used some double stick picture mounting squares to keep the keyboard down, but it just seemed wrong. So, I disassembled the computer again, and found all the little tabs twisted upwards and in. The one under the status lights on the left was a real pain. I needed to pull off the black plastic, and yank hard on the sort of plastic welded piece holding everything down. I did finally get the tabs out again, and I feel much better about not having the laptop held together with tape.

fleong, Jan 7, 2009
  7. cv65user

cv65user

i got all 2 /3 tabs back out after prising it back out after disasembling whole top layer . but i canot get access to first tab as its covered by the led light cover

how do i get that off . i can see its stuck down with plastic on top so i do not wnat to break that off .

cv65user, Apr 1, 2009
  8. cv65user

ronime

That's a very good tip. I attached a piece of self adhesive tape to the edge of the keyboard base near the corner and pulled this whilst releasing the nearest latch. Once you have one side released it is somewhat easier to do the middle latch and then the latch at the the other side.

Please do not make the mistake (as I once did) of levering the keyboard up using a screwdriver under one of the keycaps. Luckily for me my "Del" key popped back into place after applying gentle pressure...

ronime, Apr 1, 2009
Ask a Question