kernel upgrade ? missing tun module (for openvpn)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by alf, Jul 18, 2008.

1. alf

alf

tried installing openvpn, but it keeps quiting complaining bout the lack of tun/tap drivers.

i checked the module list and the /boot/config file and realised that the current kernel '2.6.23.9lw #104 SMP PREEMPT' doesnt have TUN built as a module or within the kernel.

I dun dare to upgrade the kernel to the latest fedora core kernel as I'm afraid that the drivers are linked to 2.6.23.9lw only, but i badly need openvpn =(

any hints ?

alf, Jul 18, 2008
  2. alf

thetruebumblebee

any solutions so far?

discovered http://www.twimba.com/blogs/luis/ but got a

Code:
    [root@localhost user]# depmod -a
    WARNING: Couldn't find symtab and strtab in module /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/net/tun.ko
    [root@localhost user]# modprobe tun
    FATAL: Error inserting tun (/lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/kernel/net/tun.ko): Invalid module format
    [root@localhost user]# 

any ideas?

Cheers
    thetruebumblebee

thetruebumblebee, Aug 13, 2008
  3. alf

callmeishmael

hi, take a look at this thread.
    It explains how to compile the required modules an set up the vpn. You don't need to upgrade the kernel,it will probably end up in more problems than the ones supposed to solve. Just compile the missing modules , possibly on faster pc, and copy them in the correct directory.

ps: the OP posted a link to download the modules, don't know if it still works, though.

edit: I had a look at the blog you linked: it seems that it derives from the same post I linked, but from what i can guess from my poor portguese understanding, the file he posted was broken: this should explain why you got that depmod and modprobe errors.

callmeishmael, Aug 13, 2008
Ask a Question