Kernel Panic on unzipping .dmg files?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by kc2aqg, Mar 9, 2009.

1. kc2aqg

kc2aqg

Hey All-

Thanks for the support and words of wisdom so far, it has been extremely helpful. I have gotten OSX running well on the AAO, it's stable, has most of its peripherals working including wifi, so I'm pretty happy. The only issue I seem to be having is whenever I go to unzip a .dmg file to install an application I've downloaded like Firefox, it kernel panics. This happens on all of the .dmg files I have and happens at the same point when it says it is almost finished expanding and mounting the expanded archive. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm curious as I'd like to isolate what is causing this and fix it. I suspect it might be a mis-installed kext or possibly the installation of the voodoo kernel, not exactly sure.

On a side note, my microphone doesn't seem to be working with iChat, though the camera is. I suspect it had to do with the ALC268 fix, but I'm not sure. I tried to tinker with the sound settings in system prefs but to no avail. Curious if anyone else had this problem as well.

Thanks!

kc2aqg, Mar 9, 2009
  2. kc2aqg

AK963

That's normally to do with the kernel, specificly Voodoo, you could try switching.

AK963, Mar 10, 2009
  3. kc2aqg

rory

No actually, it's to do with seatbelt.kext. Have a search round, I posted the 10.5.5 version in the SbM iAtkos thread. The kernel panic occurs because your kernel is based on the Darwin 10.5.5 kernel but your seatbelt.kext is the 10.5.6 one. So replace the seatbelt.kext with the 10.5.5 one and youre all good.

rory, Mar 10, 2009
  4. kc2aqg

AK963

my mistake :( Although I could swear someone had the problem due to Voodoo, must have been a one-off.

AK963, Mar 10, 2009
  5. kc2aqg

kc2aqg

Thanks rory, that was exactly what the problem is! I replaced seatbelt.kext with the 10.5.5 version and now it is working great! Much appreciated :D

kc2aqg, Mar 11, 2009
Ask a Question