kernel panic-not syncing:vfs unable to mount root fs ??????

Discussion in 'Linux' started by hatchhonda19, Jan 14, 2009.

1. hatchhonda19

hatchhonda19

i have a recovery dvd of the original os for my laptop.. linpus lite... and i used unetbootin to make my usb drive boot able...i get to the aspire one splash screen and it just hangs up and the one light just flashes.. when i hit hard drive in the boot menu it goes to a text mode and and it keeps hanging up at kernel panic-not syncing:vfs unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (8-7) i don't know whats up but its pissing me off b.c ever other version of linux will install.

i have tried 2 different recovery dvds i have got off the net.. anyone have a fix for me. i regret ever putting windows on this thing.. and now i switched to crunchbang linux but my mic doesn't work so what good is the web cam really..

hatchhonda19, Jan 14, 2009
  2. hatchhonda19

neopath

I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?

I Grabbed the ISO from the net (I bought the XP version of the AA1 and was curious about linpus) and I get the same error with every choice in the menu.. Out of desperation I even tried formatting the drive with ext3 before booting the iso... same problem.

I suspect a bad ISO image or,more likely, unetbootin and the linpus ISO are not very good friends.

Anyone got around this problem?

Any suggestions?

And no, I won't buy an external DVD drive. I bought this thing *expressly* because it was light and silent (sd version+AA1fan control=bliss) so I won't destroy the whole principle by buying a pantload of peripherals. I would just have bought a "real" laptop, right?

My desktop, some apps and a couple of usb thumbdrives is all I want to use to hack/do everything because,yeah, I'm like that.

Thank you all

Wait! while I'm here, anyone got around installing the XP recovery DVDs with a flashdrive or two? :)

neopath, Feb 19, 2009
  3. hatchhonda19

neopath

Ok, I'll answer my own question here for posterity:

To install the linpus recovery thing you can't use the usual "unetbootin+flashdrive+ISO" method. Doesn't work.

What you need to do is burn the linpus iso to a dvd and then boot from it on another computer (with your flashdrive connected to that same pc). There will be an option in the menu that offers you to create a usb recovery flashdrive (can't remember the exact words). Just choose your flashdrive in the option and that will copy all the needed files on your flashdrive.

You then just need to boot your AA1 from the usb key and voilĂ . A fresh Linpus install.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

neopath, Feb 22, 2009
Ask a Question