Kernel 2.6.27.11 may break your ethernet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Asparak, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Asparak

Asparak

Hi All,

Yesterday, like a clueless newbie, I patched my AA1 running Ubuntu 8.10 without checking what patches were being installed, because I was in a hurry and wanted the Firefox patches.

Today, I appear to have lost ETH0, which is giving SIOCGIFFLAGS error: No such device
    Anybody else seeing this problem? Luckily the office still has an old WEP network, so I can connect (Haven't got around to figuring out how to get WPA to work properly yet. Always had lots of issues with the Atheros drivers.)

Looks like this one is being tracked already by the Kernel development group
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/313866

Asparak, Feb 11, 2009
  2. Asparak

kpenrose

I have actually just upgraded to 2.6.27.12 and I noticed that I no longer have eth0! dmesg reports that it's there, but trying to get a connection established fails. Doing ifup eth0 replies no such device eth0=eth0.

This is rather maddening as usually the problem is with wireless (which I've had no problem with since installing the madwifi package).

kpenrose, Feb 20, 2009
  3. Asparak

kpenrose

If you still have previous kernels on your machine, booting into the 2.6.27-9 kernel or earlier will restore the eth0 connection. Still haven't figured out how to fix it in 2.6.27-11+...

kpenrose, Feb 21, 2009
Ask a Question