Keep windows 7 or upgrade to 10??

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ashley0323, Aug 13, 2016.

1. ashley0323

ashley0323

I am a huge fan of windows 7 and thats what I currently have on my laptop. My fiance has been impatiently waiting on me to upgrade to windows 10. Do I really want to do that though?? I have heard mixed reviews on windows 10 and I need some confirmation!! Any help appriciated :)

ashley0323, Aug 13, 2016
  2. ashley0323

Corzhens

I'm not really very comfortable with Windows 7 maybe because Windows XP is my favorite. But in fairness to me, I am now adept in using Windows 7 for that's the OS of my laptop for more than 2 years now. And there is word in the office that we would be upgrading to Windows 10 before the end of the year. Well, that's not really well with me because it is another period of adjustment. And I don't think that I would be needing more than Windows 7. But office rules have to be followed.

Corzhens, Aug 13, 2016
  3. ashley0323

acerme2

My laptop came with a licensed Windows 8 so I didn't have much choice on the matter. A lot of people are saying that Windows 7 is even better than Windows 8 and I almost had one installed because I had problems with some programs that won't work with Windows 8. That would have voided the warranty though, so I didn't and I was able to look for alternatives. As for Windows 10, free upgrades ended on July 29 and I didn't really bother upgrading. I've read mixed reviews about it, too, so there. I think I'll just wait for the next Windows and hopefully, I'll have a new laptop with higher specs by then.

acerme2, Aug 15, 2016
  4. ashley0323

SirJoe

The free windows 10 upgrade has finished so if you are thinking of doing the upgrade you will have to pay for it. I personally think that if you are comfortable with windows 7 I would keep it. Windows 10 home costs $110, that money can help when it comes time to buy another laptop.

SirJoe, Aug 15, 2016
  5. ashley0323

sparkster

I was using Windows 7 for many years before buying a new laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled on it. I was a little unsure about Windows 10 at first, as I wasn't that familiar with it. It did admittedly take a little while to get used to everything but now that I've become accustomed to it all, I must say that I am very pleased with Windows 10 in general. It's much better than Windows 7 and has some great extra features available. It seems that Windows 10 is designed more with mobile computing in mind and it is therefore suitable for tablets and mobiles but they've also made it cross compatible which is very useful. I don't think I would be happy going back to Windows 7 after using Windows 10 for the last five months.

sparkster, Aug 15, 2016
  6. ashley0323

vinaya

After using Windows 98 for many years I upgraded to 2003. When Windows 2000 was out, I did not switch to the new version. Likewise I am using Windows 7 for a long time and did not switch to Windows 8 when it was out. I have not yet considered upgrading to windows 10, however, I hear Microsoft will stop providing support to Windows after 2020.

vinaya, Aug 16, 2016
  7. ashley0323

ashley0323

I think at this point, I am just going to stick with windows 7. I love the way it works, easy to navigate, etc.. So why swtich? I have no real reason to, and I dont like changing stuff anyhow.. So, i made my mind up! lol Thank you all for your replies!

ashley0323, Aug 16, 2016
  8. ashley0323

fcuco

Upgrading from Windows 8 was a no brainier since Windows 8 was so awful, but Windows 7 is a very nice operating system that works nicely, so, if the thing ain't broken why change it? Just be very aware of what Windows 10 really is, it is a free operating system but you will be paying with your privacy and your data for them to analyze and exploit. If you are completely aware of this and you are ok with it, go ahead and upgrade while you can. I really can't think of any reasons to update, the new stuff, like cortana, was disabled on my machine the second day because I found no use for it.

fcuco, Aug 16, 2016
  9. ashley0323

hades_leae

I think you should upgrade, it's not a big deal. Many changes will occur, I know this for a fact, and I'm just talking about the GUI, and some other software changes. I'm actually liking EDGE browser more than Chrome at the moment, it literally takes no time to load as soon as I press the icon, and it has a very minimalist look.

I'm not really a big fan of MS software, but it has some things that I will keep using for now until I upgrade to Linux. Also it has many different personal preference features that are really different. I also like how all the windows are edge-less. It's makes for a great design as well. You can always uninstall it I think.

hades_leae, Aug 16, 2016
  10. ashley0323

Fuzyon

It depends on you, realistically you don't have any real advantages if you upgrade to Windows 10 so unless you're a power user/programmer/intensive gamer you should be fine. That being said, I personally think the user experience and UI is much better on Windows 10 and I don't have a lot of crashes which is nice. On Windows 7 I had errors constantly.

Fuzyon, Aug 18, 2016
  11. ashley0323

Sefie

I decided to keep Windows 8.1 and I haven't regretted it or even looked back ;) I don't care if the offer to upgrade to Windows 10 for free is gone, I am quite happy with this OS. If you feel the same way with yours, then I recommend you to just keep it :) So far all the tihngs I've heard from Windows 10 are awful, but leaving that aside... why switching to a OS you are not even used to and you might not like? Specially if we are talking about Window 7... I had to switch to Windows 8.1 because I had to buy a new laptop :( If that hadn't been the case, there is no way I' have switched to Window 8.1, because at at first it was huge shock an even now I still don't know how to do some things I could easily do in the other OS.

Sefie, Aug 18, 2016
  12. ashley0323

AntonioCalcano

If you can update your windows 7 to windows 10 you should go for it. Windows 10 offers several improvements over windows 7, and brings in almost everything good about wndows 7 and what was good about windows 8.1 so you get the best of both worlds, and you can get it for free in most cases if you own a genuine copy of Windows 7

AntonioCalcano, Oct 5, 2016
  13. ashley0323

vinaya

I recently installed Windows 10. I tried Windows 8 for sometime and have used Windows 7 for most of the time. I see Windows 10 a mixed version of Windows 7 and Windows 8. I think Windows 10 is better than the previous versions in many ways. I also hear that this version of Windows is more secured than the previous versions.

vinaya, Oct 6, 2016
  14. ashley0323

Aree Wongwanlee

If you can upgrade for free, go ahead. If not, stick with Windows 7. I haven't used it much but my son has and he said it's a good operating system. If you still want to upgrade to Windows 10, just be patient. There's probably an offer somewhere in the future.

Aree Wongwanlee, Oct 6, 2016
Ask a Question