just took my mum to pc world (UK) looking at netbooks

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jtfab, Nov 16, 2008.

1. jtfab

jtfab

just taken my 66 yr old mum to the new PC World store in Bradford looking at netbooks for me and her to share.
    we looked at the acer,asus 901,samsung nc10 and advent 4211.
    i wanted her to look at the 8.9 screens to see if they were suitable for her eyes,she said they were fine ( the acer one wasn't working properly so i couldn't show her the Linux properly,typical pc world).
    i showed her xp and told her the difference between that and Linux (she looked confused).
    in the end she said all she wanted to do was write letters and send emails on it so nothing fancy and nothing too expensive.

so i've decided to get the acer aspire one in blue for xmas with a wireless mouse for her.

jtfab, Nov 16, 2008
  2. jtfab

barrie

Newbie here to, got my AAO last week to use out and about, totally impressed. :D Out of the box all works really well.
    Just tentatively tried the wireless network today, and first time connection. :) So am very very happy and would defiantly recommend this little notebook. :p
    And to add 1954 is my date of birth so no spring chicken either. :cool:

barrie, Nov 16, 2008
  3. jtfab

ehodgso

as a caution, I'm 62, and I need my reading glasses to see the aspire one screen. It's a great little computer, I bought it for it's portability, but I use my HP Pavillion for daily use. The Aspire keyboard is kind of small for old fingers too

gene

ehodgso, Nov 17, 2008
  4. jtfab

Bannod

I'm 53 and need reading glasses to see the screen on my One. I also need reading glasses to see the screen on my 24" iMac. No problems with the keyboard being too small.

Bannod, Nov 17, 2008
  5. jtfab

Jacinto Cupboard

Just a quick note on screen reading. To zoom in and out of the screen quickly use a 'pinching motion' (like picking up a grain of rice) on the touchpad to zoom out, and the reverse to zoom in. Much faster than using the menus or function keys. Not sure how the linux version does this however.

Jacinto Cupboard, Nov 19, 2008
Ask a Question