Just got my ONE back from Acer Repair Center!! USB Problem!

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by undftd, Aug 19, 2008.

1. undftd

undftd

Hi aspire one users,

upon receiving my ONE, i immediately installed windows XP, and it worked alright, except that it was a bit on the slow side.

so i upgraded the ram to 1.5gb, and used pc 5300. surprisingly, it got even slower after the ram upgrade, so i changed it to pc4200 (both 1gb) and reformat hard drive FAT format, and it worked like a charm.

but, in the process of installing ram twice, i messed up one of the joints and the screw just won't go in.
    Tried to register my product online, but found out that i can only do so by calling 1800 number....after a loooooong wait i was finally able to register mine.

i sent it in for a repair, asked them to just recase it. after about 2 weeks, i finally got mine back today, only to find out that they reloaded the factory defaults. (still had 1.5gb ram though)

so there i was reupdating newest bios and trying to re-install windows xp.......

there i encountered a problem. when i plugged in my external cd drive, after it shows 'windows is loading set up files' screen, my acer automatically got shut down. i tried again and again and same problem.

so i tried to plug it in the different usb port, and it finally worked fine and i was able to install windows.

i'm afraid if they have messed up one of my usb ports.......why would it get shut down like that?

i'm not sure if i want to send it back though...first of all it takes too long and i don't want them to reload factory settings again.
    i'm pissed though, why would they even touch my OS? i had many softwares installed on there as well..they could have asked for my permission or something.

undftd, Aug 19, 2008
  2. undftd

SbM

Maybe your USB ports don't deliver enough current. I had funny things happen here with my external USB drive because it didn't get enough current from the USB port. Try powering it from two USB ports at once, with a "Y" cable.

As a rule, you NEVER send a machine for repair without performing a backup first. ALL brands do the same: they wipe your drive clean and install a clean OS, if only to ensure that one of the software you installed doesn't mess things up.

SbM, Aug 20, 2008
  3. undftd

procalli

They still offered to repair it even though you voided the warranty by adding ram?

procalli, Aug 20, 2008
  4. undftd

SbM

Who said adding RAM voided the warranty?

SbM, Aug 20, 2008
  5. undftd

procalli

I just assumed that by stripping it down would automatically void the warranty. Anyone know for certain if it does in the uk?

procalli, Aug 20, 2008
  6. undftd

Achilles

The warranty is not very clear. It doesn't say that opening up the One will invalidate the warranty but there is an exclusion if the product has been damaged or made defective by modifying the system, serviced/repaired by someone other than Acer (or an authorized service provider) or by improper installation of third party products such as memory cards.

From this I would conclude that you are covered unless Acer can show that the computer malfunction was a direct result of the memory upgrade.

It is unfortunate that they designed the One so that RAM upgrade is so difficult. Most laptops have an opeing in the underside to facilitate memory expansion and it would have added practically nothing to the BOM to have provided this to the One.

Acer do advertise the fact that there is an expansion slot and it would be reasonable to expect that many purchasers would want to upgrade their memory. That they have wantonly made the upgrade so difficult is to my mind one of the few real design flaws in what is I think is otherwise a great machine.

[I heard earlier today that the above is rubbish. Although Acer themselves advertise the fact that a memory upgrade is possible this appeerntly automatically invalidates the waranty. When I pointed this out to they people at the call centre their reply was that there was apparently a communication problem at Acer! No one was able to answer my question as to where in the warranty did it prohibit memory upgrades. Is this the case with all Acer products or just the Aspire One?]

Achilles, Aug 26, 2008
  7. undftd

judeh101

or, they don't want to show the ugly ram doors underneath the netbook? I don't know, I am just guessing....

judeh101, Aug 27, 2008
  8. undftd

Achilles

Other than the fact that they could save maybe 20ct on 4 screws I am guessing that they didn't want anyone to be able to ugrade to 1.5GB since their deal with Micosoft was that these machines wouldn't have more than 1GB DRAM.

Achilles, Aug 28, 2008
  9. undftd

judeh101

Other than the fact that they could save maybe 20ct on 4 screws I am guessing that they didn't want anyone to be able to ugrade to 1.5GB since their deal with Micosoft was that these machines wouldn't have more than 1GB DRAM.
    ahhhh. I see... How do YOU know?

judeh101, Aug 29, 2008
  10. undftd

shuut

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1953&p=13281&hilit=microsoft+license#p13281

shuut, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question