Just got my Acer Aspire One, and it won't stay on!

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by doubleg316, Jun 15, 2009.

1. doubleg316

doubleg316

So I ordered a Acer Aspire One refurbished from TigerDirect and got it in today, here's the model:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2814

I put in the battery, started it up, and it died right after I could control the mouse. So I figured I should charge the battery, but that it would stay on if the charger was plugged in. I tried that, and it died at the same point. So then I let it charge to full, and it still dies at the same part. Here's what I see:

Boot up stuff
    Windows XP splash
    Background image and mouse cursor
    Windows XP shutdown screen?

I think the problem might be the fan. I did some searching on the forums and saw that the thing will shut itself off if the fan isn't on. I don't hear a fan at all, and Acer Netbooks are supposed to have some of the loudest. So how can I fix this? Is there any way to check if the fan is working or not?

doubleg316, Jun 15, 2009
  2. doubleg316

doubleg316

Okay so, not 30 seconds after I posted this topic, I tried to turn it on again, and it still didn't work. So I took the caveman approach: I just dropped it lightly on my bed a couple of times, and booted it up. I listened closely, and I heard a fan! And now Windows is setting up... so it works.

So sometimes, I guess just dropping something until it works is a valid solution. :D

doubleg316, Jun 15, 2009
  3. doubleg316

Tamrac

Heheheh. That's a funny tale dude.... anyway, still observe if the fan is working properly. If it got stuck before, it could do so again in the near future.... just a thought. ;)

Tamrac, Jun 16, 2009
Ask a Question