Just bought the Acer AO532h-2789 10.1" With Windows7 Starter

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by woogyboogy, Mar 3, 2010.

1. woogyboogy

woogyboogy

Ok, so i just bought the Acer AO532h-2789 and it has Windows 7 Starter, which is the dumbest thing ever, and i was wondering if it was possible to put windows XP on it?

woogyboogy, Mar 3, 2010
  2. woogyboogy

vpnavy

You can if you want. However, what is wrong with Windows 7? You do realize you can download a free package that will make the START Menu function like XP? You can also change other settings to replicate XP...

vpnavy, Mar 4, 2010
  3. woogyboogy

woogyboogy

Its actually Windows 7 Starter, and its horrible especially on a netbook, and how would you go about putting Windows XP on it?

woogyboogy, Mar 4, 2010
  4. woogyboogy

longjohn412

You'd do it just like you would on any other machine except you need to download all the Acer XP drivers for it.

The tricky part about installing XP is the AHCI drivers, you have to the special text mode drivers and the ability to get XP Installer to recognize them.

longjohn412, Mar 4, 2010
  5. woogyboogy

AOD150BLACK

Windows 7 Starter is a joke, but Windows 7 Premium or Ultimate both work great on Acer Netbooks!

Since you will have to purchase a copy of XP, you may as well do the anytime upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. For about the same price, you will get a much better operating system, and you won't have to worry about upgrading in the future.

I have both XP and W7 Ultimate dual-booting on my Acer, and they both work great, but W7 has a much easier install/upgrade process than XP.

AOD150BLACK, Mar 4, 2010
  6. woogyboogy

woogyboogy

How exactly did you get XP on the acer? I've tried and was unsuccessful :(

woogyboogy, Mar 4, 2010
  7. woogyboogy

AOD150BLACK

Mine came with XP, I added Windows 7.

AOD150BLACK, Mar 4, 2010
  8. woogyboogy

woogyboogy

That's because you have the older version, i just bought the newest one two days ago.

woogyboogy, Mar 4, 2010
  9. woogyboogy

hartleyshc

what was unsuccessful? you should be able to format and just install xp.

note: if you want to keep your win7 restore partition, leave the smaller partition alone when you format, you might also have to turn off D2D in your bios settings when you install xp. this is all assuming acer kept the Disk to Disk (D2D) recovery in the 532h like before, instead of actually bundling disks with the system.

hartleyshc, Mar 6, 2010
  10. woogyboogy

bluevolume

You should give 7 a chance before ripping it out and putting a 10 year old OS on your brand new PC. Maybe look into how much the anytime-upgrade to home premium costs.

bluevolume, Mar 6, 2010
  11. woogyboogy

MRSMUFFINS

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO UPGRADE ACER ONE532H FREE TO A WINDOWS HOME EDITION. IT SAYS I NEED A CODE AND I CAN;T FIND A CODE. ALSO IF THE ACER EVER CRASHES OR IF I NEED TO REINSTALL HOW DO I GO ABOUT IT WITH NO DISK DRIVE? BY THE WAY I AM NOT YELLING. I HAVE MS AND CAPS ARE EASIER FOR ME TO READ. :p

MRSMUFFINS, Mar 24, 2010
  12. woogyboogy

MRSMUFFINS

where do you go to get this free upgrade?

MRSMUFFINS, Mar 24, 2010
  13. woogyboogy

hartleyshc

I dont know of any free ways to update from Starter to Home Premium. There was some free upgrade offers last year if you bought your pc from June-January and it came with Vista.
    There are inplace upgrades that you can buy from Microsoft, just search for Windows Anytime Upgrade on your start menu search bar. it will give you prices and features of the other versions of Windows 7.

As for recovery, there is a recovery partition that you can access. It will format your drive and revert it back to a new clean install.

hartleyshc, Mar 25, 2010
  14. woogyboogy

MRSMUFFINS

THANKS SO MUCH YOU GUYS FOR YOUR KINDNESS!

MRSMUFFINS, Mar 25, 2010
  15. woogyboogy

MRSMUFFINS

i FOUND IT BUT WANT TO MAKE SURE IT WILL RUN GOOD. IS THIS IT? Microsoft Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade [Starter to Home Premium]

MRSMUFFINS, Mar 25, 2010
  16. woogyboogy

MRSMUFFINS

sORRY TO BUY YOU AGAIN BUT HOW WOULD I GET IT IN MY SYSTEM WITHOUT A DISK DRIVE? (COMPUTER DUMMY HERE) :roll:

MRSMUFFINS, Mar 25, 2010
  17. woogyboogy

hartleyshc

yes thats it.

as for accessing recovery mode, see your manual. im sure someone with a 532h will respond. theres a key command you hit when you turn the computer on, it will run the recovery mode and revert your computer back to its original state, just as if you just bought it. then you reinstall the anytime upgrade (you should be able to update based on your win 7 product key at any time).

hartleyshc, Mar 26, 2010
  18. woogyboogy

gwheaton

MRSMUFFINS,

CHECK YOUR PM

gwheaton, Mar 27, 2010
  19. woogyboogy

gwheaton

gwheaton, Mar 30, 2010
  20. woogyboogy

Kindred

My 532h came with Win7 Starter and I was disappointed at how poorly it ran. So I dropped 70 bucks on the Anytime upgrade to Win7 Home Premium and I have to say it is disturbing at how much more efficiently, faster, and smoother the netbook runs.

Kindred, Apr 4, 2010
Ask a Question