Just bought my aspire one @ staples...

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Janye, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Janye

Janye

I have been researching netbooks and from general consensus this was the best one to get. When I went to the only place that has them here, (Staples) the only one they had was the floor model that they claim had only been out 6 days (They had a sale for a week on them) and even though I am a bit sketchy not knowing how many kids had been picking on it, they said they would do a clean install, however, would not give me any money off it for being a floor model.

I took it thinking that I kind of hand no choice. They are not shipping any more here and the sale price was 376 Canadian which was good when I seen the online comparisons.

Anyhoo, my gripe right now is that it has a bit of a bright spot on the top of the screen, no doubt to kiddies picking with it. As well, I noticed a little gash in the casing. Considering I took the floor model for full price I am kinda miffed, however, looking around and not wanting to wait, so I just deal with it? The bright spot is not so noticeable, I have all my stuff on here, but the little itty bity gash is bothering me. I have 14 days for return. I guess in the meantime I can go in and scope things out to see if they do get more in.

*sigh*

I think I just wanted to rant. I am in love with this soooo much <3

Janye, Nov 5, 2008
  2. Janye

Tex

You live in Canada? take it back to staples. turn around and buy one brand new from futureshop, bestbuy, or ncix. they all carry the One. full price for something used is never a good deal.

Tex, Nov 5, 2008
  3. Janye

rjm

rjm, Nov 6, 2008
  4. Janye

Janye

Not all areas of Canada have access to these stores. When I say it's the only place that we have that carries them, I am being serious. I am in rural Newfoundland with very limited options and no credit card. I moved here from St. John's, the capitol, that had everything you would in a metro area to the boonies.

I asked for a discount b/c places like FS will normally give them to you without even asking. The guy here looked appalled, that was till I mentioned FS and he said that they have no competition here (which is equally true)

I think my only option is to scower the store over the next 14 days and if they have more in, I will make them do a swap out. The reason I took the demo is b/c they said they were not getting anymore and this was pretty much my only option. If I did get a discount, I would have not been so miffed about the one ding and the small bright spot :(

The bright spot I find out b/c it seems like the backing to the screen is quite sturdy. Oh, and sometimes it goes away?

Janye, Nov 6, 2008
  5. Janye

Tex

you can always order it from NCIX.com you can pay with online banking or paypal. they will ship it to you. Staples doesn't want to give good customer service then they shouldn't get the customer. lack of competition is no excuse for bad service.

Tex, Nov 6, 2008
  6. Janye

Tamrac

Janye.... unless you really don't care about what you have even if you payed full price, then go on and live with the defects. But if I were you, return it. Store demo units are left ON all the time.... often without the use of screen savers. No matter what they say about the latest LCDs not having problems being on all the time, it's just so not true from my experience. That's the reason for the uneven bright spots you're talking about. The gash is just a consmetic thing, and I won't care about that. But the LCD screen is the thing you are looking at every time you use your AAO. It's hardly noticeable now... but are you sure you can say the same after a few months? Think about it bro.

Tamrac, Nov 6, 2008
  7. Janye

Forone

I bought mine at Staples 10 days ago - they were sold out online and only had white at the location but offered to ship a blue unit from another store - it took Sat to Weds for the blue to arrive. There is a fourteen day return window and you could ask about that option.

Forone, Nov 6, 2008
  8. Janye

rjm

He-ey, somebody else from my neck of the woods!

While not having a credit card limits your online ordering options, the advice given out by everyone is still basically valid I think.

rjm, Nov 7, 2008
  9. Janye

Tallytail

for $375 cdn, what spec did you get ? ssd, hd?? ram?

i live in vancouver, i got my 160gig xp, 1g ram , white , 6cell for $409 after they price matched it from compu2000.com well it was suppose to be $399 but ncix said 409 was the best they could do.

anyways, i think you should return your unit if it is a demo. Getting a totally new AAO beats getting a used demo. you never know what has been done to it.

go return it, wait a few days and go back to the store and buy it as an open box with discount lol. Better yet, return it and get a new one.

Tallytail, Nov 7, 2008
  10. Janye

Janye

rjm, where is your neck of the woods ?

The $379 got me blue, 160 GB HD, 1 GB of Ram with Windows XP OS

TallyTail, They said they were not getting anymore in period. If they were, I would have waited and bought one when they came in.

Paypal has been the devil for me to work with. Nothing seems to be an easy transaction (Granted, this is from using eBay. I never used them anywhere else.)

Janye, Nov 9, 2008
Ask a Question