Jolicloud - Robby Alpha 2c

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Anttikoo, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Anttikoo

Anttikoo

Like few others, Jolicloud is getting some attention. Apparently based on Ubuntu 9.04 it is meant for netbooks and according to the site has full support for AAO's.

Has anyone tried this out and what are the impressions so far?

Altough it is invitation only, I got my invitation the same second I sent a request for it. So propably anyone can get one, just by registrating on their site. Haven't installed this yet though..

[​IMG]

Anttikoo, Nov 17, 2009
  2. Anttikoo

SaintStewart

I've looked into it, and signed up on the site. I haven't received a reply yet, after two days. I'm really looking forward to this one - I've read a lot of good things about it.

EDIT: Oddly enough, I just got "Joliclouded". I got an email from them, saying I'm in. I am downloading it now, and I'll let you know how it goes!

EDIT2: Installing it now. Basically, its Ubuntu (which it is based on), with the old Netbook Remix (9.04 version) on top, with their own improvements and addons on top of that. On my AAO ZG5, everything was detected and set up out of the box, including wireless. It seems responsive enough. It has 145 updates waiting for me after the install too, lol. Oh, hey, if anyone happens to want in, I have about 10 "invites" I can send out. Let me know. I'll keep editing this as I play around with it more.

EDIT3: The more I use it, the more I like it. I am amused by this so far, though. Thinking about it. Jolicloud: based on Ubuntu Netbook Remix which is based on vanilla Ubuntu which is based on Debian. I'm signed in to the dashboard, which is the Jcloud way of doing things. It's updating the 145 it found. Poking around while it works, I find a CPU throttler in the taskbar up in the right hand corner, next to the wifi. This thing is pretty slick. This may sound pretty silly, but it has my clock right. In most distros, I have to manually set the clock and ensure the correct time is set. With Jolicloud, it has set the time correctly without me doing anything. Thinking about it as I type, I guess what my take is on this thing so far is that it is kind of like Mint, except it takes it one step further. Rather than just making it a nice easy to use distro that works out of the box, it (so far, from what I can see) makes sure to pay attention to every single little detail, to ensure that the user experience is a pleasant one. I'll stop bothering you guys with all these silly updates now, and I'll leave this page up so if anyone wants and invite or has any questions about it, I'll answer.

My bottom line and final 2c: even though this distro is only an alpha, Jolicloud is already polished very nicely and works very smoothly. I am impressed.

SaintStewart, Nov 19, 2009
  3. Anttikoo

bugtussle

Ive been using Jolicloud for 5 months and only had one little problem with my sound while using Skype i's latest version. I then loaded the previous version of Skype and everything works. Im really impressed with Jolicloud. It boots up and shuts down quickly and it just works. I love the way they make all of the cool apps available with a simple click. Recommended!!

bugtussle, Nov 22, 2009
  4. Anttikoo

Vinter

looks nice, i applied with two emails.. no invite :(

Vinter, Nov 24, 2009
Ask a Question