JOHN LEWIS SOLD ME A £500 LEMON - A DELL INSPIRON - WITH WINDOWS 10

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ChrisJBrady, Feb 9, 2017.

1. ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady

For social media worldwide ...

HOW DARE JOHN LEWIS SELL ME A £500 LEMON - A £500 DELL INSPIRON laptop COMPUTER.- WHICH IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

The hard-drive on my trusty Acer Aspire running Win 7 has just crashed. Luckily I got the files off it OK. Now I have to replace it with an SSD.

Meanwhile I bought a Dell Inspiron from John Lewis to keep me working. This came with Win 10. Aware of the draconian update issues with Win 10 - which I have avoided until now - I thought that all would be well. BUT NO!!!

At home I use an S2 Three Skype phone to tether to whatever laptop I'm using. The Acer with Win 7 was brilliant. I never ever had ANY updates downloaded and installed without my authorisation; I used free external wifi services for updates.

But last night I was tethering the S2 to the Dell when suddenly the connection terminated. I received a message that my credit had all been used up at £5 for 120MB before I had a chance to convert this to 2GB of data. I then checked and discovered a half-downloaded update file from MS. Damn them - at that rate I can't afford to access the web.

I then tried to set up the S2 connection as 'metered' but there is no option to do so.

As I see it my solutions are now to: a/ return the Dell for a refund as not fit for purpose - failing that write off the £500 cost and send it to landfill; 2/ dump Win 10 again as not fit for purpose and install Win 7 (which I will have to pay extra for), or better install Linux Ubuntu (free); 3/ get the Acer repaired a.s.a.p. with Win 7 then dump the Dell.

All of this angst and stress could have been avoided if I could have set the S2 connection as metered; or if regedit workaround edits actually worked - but MS has stopped every workaround. So damn Microsoft for its arrogance towards its hapless users in causing all of this.

AND WHY DID JOHN LEWIS NOT WARN ME OF THESE PROBLEMS IN ADVANCE?

ChrisJBrady, Feb 9, 2017
  2. ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady

Additionally if I install Linux alongside Win 10 and have a dual boot setup, and then if I am working in Linux such as editing files whatever, would the automatic updates and restart for Win 10 still interrupt this work?

ChrisJBrady, Feb 9, 2017
Ask a Question