Java-based Trojan was used to attack over 400,000 systems

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

A cross-platform remote access Trojan that’s being openly sold as a service to all types of attackers, from opportunistic cybercriminals to cyberespionage groups, has been used to attack more than 400,000 systems over the past three years.

The RAT (Remote Access Tool/Trojan), which depending on the variant is known as Adwind, AlienSpy, Frutas, Unrecom, Sockrat, jRat or JSocket, is evidence of how successful the malware-as-a-service model can be for malware creators.

Adwind is written in Java, so it can run on any OS that has a Java runtime installed including Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android. The Trojan has been continuously developed since at least 2012 and is being sold out in the open via a public website.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3031...n-was-used-to-attack-over-400000-systems.html

Sefie, Feb 11, 2016
  2. Sefie

Krissttina Isobe

Well, if you can report it to the ic3.gov. Here is an article of the FBI catching some people who had a trojan to capture information. At the bottom the page has a facebook and twitter click too. You can get in touch with them and they'll tell you how to report this knowledge of those that create trojans: https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2010/october/cyber-banking-fraud.

Krissttina Isobe, Feb 12, 2016
  3. Sefie

IBMPC8088

There were already so many reasons not to use Java, but this is just another one to add to it. All those systems running java with important data on them while connected to the web...makes me shudder to think what they were able to do with that where people were playing java games and were not aware that it was a two-way street to their PC the moment they began. Java's never been safe and very slow on top of that, but people need to be careful of php and other web technologies which can be used to automatically upload or download data via a form or a combination of it with javascript or modified node.js. I miss the old days when you didn't have to worry about this as much. I really do.

IBMPC8088, Feb 12, 2016
  4. Sefie

IcyBC

Goodness! I hope all of these hackers will have something better to do soon. I just don't understand why they are not thinking about the damages they would cause to people and the expense that people will have to spend to get things running again. It is a sad world :(

IcyBC, Feb 12, 2016
Ask a Question