I've started getting a black screen at random times.

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by MrDale93, Dec 12, 2017.

1. MrDale93

MrDale93

Firstly Id just like to say I am entirely new to this site, and I'm not 100% if I have this in the correct category.

I have an ancient laptop, an Acer Extensa 5235, the sticker on the back says it was manufactured 2010/01/27 but it is (was) still going strong. the OS was Windows 7, however when I got it, I updated it to Windows 10 Home edition, and although it has never been what most of you would probably call fast, it is fast enough for me, although if I could play a few resource heavier games, I wouldn't complain.
    I had an alert for an update due maybe a week ago, put it off for a couple of days, then I eventually got round to going ahead with it. I've been given a few more features, all seems fine, but now every so often my screen just turns off. All the lights flash as normal, but the only way to get any sort of picture or even back light is to press the power button putting the laptop in sleep mode, leaving it until it goes silent and the only light is the charger, then pressing again to 'wake' the laptop up.
    I regularly clean my laptop as thoroughly as I know how, removing any possible adware/malware, a weekly defrag, and running that Windows malicious software removal tool they offer.
    Unfortunately at the minute, out of work struggling to find something local to my middle of nowhere location, a new baby on the way and Christmas basically here I cannot afford to go out and get a more up to date, faster, better display rendering laptop than this which cost me a mere £25 second hand.
    I do know most of the specs of my laptop, I can give more info on my machine if needs be, this turned into a novel quicker than I thought so Ill just stick all that information on if I get a reply.
    Thanks for taking an hour or 2 to read this!

MrDale93, Dec 12, 2017
  2. MrDale93

something back

Welcome to the laptop forums site

Try to restore your laptop to an earlier time,in the search box bottom left
    type in system restore,a new box will appear.

Click on the system restore box then choose an earlier time before you updated
    the last up date, then see if it's still causes problems.

something back, Dec 12, 2017
  3. MrDale93

MrDale93

Thanks for the welcome!
    Awesome stuff, I'll give that a go if it starts doing it again, I've had a few days without this happening now after giving my laptop another go over with the software I have. Just out of curiosity, if this does start again after any restoration, is it possible it could be a problem to do with the screen directly, such as a loose connection or an age related issue? Would that mean it is an unfixable reason to get a new machine?

MrDale93, Dec 14, 2017
  4. MrDale93

something back

It's going to be a 95% software problem ,it could be a faulty driver that's causing it or
    some problem with the recent update you did.

Try downloading this free program driver booster.

Here's the link

https://www.freewarefiles.com/search.php?categoryid=1&query=driver+booster&boolean=exact

something back, Dec 14, 2017
  5. MrDale93

Nacaeryu

You can give a solutiom ?

Nacaeryu, Dec 16, 2017
  6. MrDale93

MrDale93

Good news I do believe, it has been 4 days since the last black screen issue, I have had no problems lately everything seems to be running fine. I had a new update to install a couple of days back, because everything looks to be good I think the issue was something in the update, and the second update may of just been a patch?

I don't know, but nothing is acting weird and all seems fine. Maybe its just the laptop been senile in its old age?

MrDale93, Dec 16, 2017
Ask a Question