It boots in 800x480 resolution

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Stoche, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Stoche

Stoche

Folks,

My AA1 randomly boots up in something like 800x480 resolution, and the other half of the time in the standard resolution. When it boots in 800..., everything is tucked into the top left of the screen and repeated below. It stays like this from power on right through to entering Linplus. I can't change the resolution because of another quirky problem, it won't recognise my password when I want to do anything like install software etc etc, it just asks three times and I tell it three times and then goes to the change password screen. The reason I know that I have my password correct is because I can change it no problem...and also I remember what I typed in. I'm going to install XP so that won't be an issue but any help on the resolution would be great.

Also, is this the right section of the forum? I put it here seeing as it doesn't seem to be prompted by any particular OS.

Thanks,
    Stoche

Stoche, Sep 11, 2008
  2. Stoche

annafil

Ok first of all, before setting off on the monumental task of reinstalling windows, let's see if we can fix this ok? :)

Have you performed any Linpus customizations? Which was/were the most recent?

annafil, Sep 13, 2008
  3. Stoche

rachel

Don't reinstall; it's a problem with the display connector inside. Did you open the case (eg: to add RAM)?

I opened my case several times trying to resolve fan noise issues (eventually we got a software solution), and at one point I was getting exactly the symptoms you describe. I believe it to be related to the display connector near the top-left corner of the mainboard. Basically I fiddled until it worked again. Nothing was obviously *adrift* but I think it may be related to the film covering over the very thin exposed wires going to the connector.

Presumably one particular wire being unhappy is interfering with the system's idea of what kind of monitor is attached...

rachel, Sep 13, 2008
  4. Stoche

Stoche

Thanks for the responses folks.

I haven't opened the cover, does that void the warranty??
    I didn't do any tweaking of Linplus other than switch on advance user mode with which I couldn't do anything because it wouldn't accept my password.

I wanted Windows anyway so I now have that installed ok. It works pretty well. The resolution problem is still occuring but once it's warmed up, I restart and it reverts to the proper resolution which is good. This does make me think of a mechanical connection problem where the heat expansion fixes the connection. I must check the warranty literature to suss out the deal on opening and I'll see what to do then.

Any other suggestions would be welcome. Would updating BIOS help? I've never thought about how the BIOS screens know what resolution to give.

Cheers,
    Stoche

Stoche, Sep 14, 2008
  5. Stoche

annafil

If it's still hapenning on windows, sounds like a hardware issue. Take it to Acer to get fixed and or replaced. if you haven't opened up the laptop yet - don't, this should be covered under your warranty

annafil, Sep 14, 2008
  6. Stoche

ipearl

Must be the Cable. I removed mines and put it back and it fixed it.
    Havent seen that again yet. But if you keep on seeing it on reg basis and didnt mod ur AO then take it to get it replaced.

ipearl, Sep 15, 2008
Ask a Question