Is Windows 10 worth it?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Fuzyon, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Fuzyon

Fuzyon

With all the negativity about Microsoft and how they're pushing Windows 10 down people's throats I was wondering if the upgrade is actually beneficial. I've been running it for 7 months now and I'm really happy with the performance and I haven't had any real issues except for my monitor driver that fails sometimes.
    In my opinion Windows 10 is also cleaner than 8/8.1, that's an added bonus. :p

Fuzyon, Jul 4, 2016
  2. Fuzyon

sparkster

No problems whatsoever here, I'm absolutely loving Windows 10. Having said that, I didn't upgrade. I had it preinstalled on my new laptop but I've kept it secure and up to date and I'm actually much more impressed with it than I was expecting to be. Sure, it took a bit of time to get used to it but now that I have, I think it's pretty awesome and yes, you're right. It's so much cleaner.

sparkster, Jul 5, 2016
  3. Fuzyon

Fuzyon

Coming from Windows 8.1 I think 10 is a really good improvement, at firsst I noticed that they got rid of the Metro start menu which I kind of liked but it didn't serve any real purpose, I'm pretty bummed out about all the ads in my start menu though, I may have to get those checked out. It didn't take me long to get used to the interface because it's somewhat similar to Windows 7, but the stability and performance are much better.

Fuzyon, Jul 7, 2016
  4. Fuzyon

vinaya

I have never used Windows 10 thus I am seeking answer: Is Windows 10 worth it?
    I have used Windows 8 and I had a bad experience. I was using Windows 7 and I decided to upgrade. After the upgrade, I was able to use my computer just for couple of months,then after it crashed. I switched back to Windows 7.

vinaya, Jul 11, 2016
  5. Fuzyon

obliviousme

I have no issues with windows 10. I used to have Windows 8 and i put off upgrading it to windows 10 when it first came out but eventually i updated my OS and it worked just fine. I find it even better than windows 8. I think it's faster than the previous os and the user interface is more impressive.

obliviousme, Jul 13, 2016
  6. Fuzyon

rootle

Windows 10 is not bad at all. I prefer it to Windows 8 for sure so if that's what you have then I recommend upgrading. However I think I like Windows 7 more. I'm not an expert on technology so Windows 10 may offer things that Windows 7 didn't but I generally liked the feel of 7 more.

rootle, Jul 13, 2016
  7. Fuzyon

GearZ

It is not a bad OS, but I don't believe it is worth it either. It does nothing for me that Windows 7 doesn't do just as well. It is better than the train-wreck that was 8 though. So, if you are happy with 7, I don't know that there is any pressing need to upgrade now.

GearZ, Jul 13, 2016
  8. Fuzyon

Fuzyon

Well, one thing that can make you upgrade from Windows 7 is that Microsoft dropped support for it, you only get security updates but those are going to cease to exist pretty soon. It's a good idea to just update to Windows 10 since 8.1 is also going to get dropped soon, plus it's the last version of Windows they're going to put out.

Fuzyon, Jul 13, 2016
  9. Fuzyon

nytegeek

I don't have time to address all the FUD and misinformation in this topic so I'll do that later. I'll just have to mark it for further review. I will say that if you can upgrade you should. Do't do it for the reasons anyone has listed here thus far, this is one of the rare cases that the people for the upgrade have their facts as wrong as the people against do.

nytegeek, Jul 13, 2016
  10. Fuzyon

GearZ

True, but security updates will continue to be rolled out until January 2020. That gives you time to migrate to a new OS when you like. If Windows 10 works well enough for you, though, there likely isn't any harm to upgrade.

GearZ, Jul 13, 2016
  11. Fuzyon

cluckeyo

I have Windows 10 on my new laptop and I like it so far. We're fixing the old laptop and putting on Windows 7 instead of the original Vista. It's gonna be light duty and I think I will not upgrade it to 10. Though I could decide to do that if I wanted to.

cluckeyo, Jul 16, 2016
  12. Fuzyon

nytegeek

Upgrading from Vista is a good move. Going straight to 10 may be better depending on the hardware. The requirements look deceptively low because the don't mention the PAE requirement for processors.

nytegeek, Jul 16, 2016
  13. Fuzyon

cecejailer

I have to say yes, specially if you're currently using Windows 8, which was, in my opinion, the worst thing Microsoft has put out since Early 90's Windows. But nevertheless, Windows 8 did look good so Windows 10 is basically a better-looking and better-functioning Windows 8. I recommend it so much and I still don't get it why people seem to hate Windows 10 so much. I think it's only because they got too annoyed by the "download now!" ads.

cecejailer, Jul 16, 2016
  14. Fuzyon

Corzhens

This is not to malign Windows 10, just my opinion. I think the upgrade is not worth the trouble since Windows 7 is working all right. If Windows 10 is really an advantage then I'm sure the tech department in the office would surely submit a proposal to require an upgrade since the upgrade to Windows 10 is free. Well, my take on that issue is the Windows 10 may just be confusing for the users hence we are sticking our neck with Windows 7.

Corzhens, Jul 17, 2016
  15. Fuzyon

hades_leae

Is hasn't been worth it for me, your right when you say that they push it down people's throats. Every single day before I upgraded, I would get notifications, and popups telling me to install windows 10, and I would always post pone it because I could never actually disable that message.

It has not been worth it to me in any way, there are a few minor design changes that make the desktop look better, but that's not why I would upgrade software, it's pretty basic and simple.

hades_leae, Jul 17, 2016
  16. Fuzyon

cluckeyo

I have it on my new computer. I like it so far. We upgraded to it on the desktop with less wonderful results and are thinking about moving it back to to Widows 7. But my new laptop is working fine and I like a few of the new features. Now that I understand the start menu and Cortana, it is a lot less frustrating. They don't really make it easy to change defaults.

cluckeyo, Jul 19, 2016
  17. Fuzyon

nytegeek

People that go straight into it by purchasing a computer seem to have few if any major issues. People upgrading run into some snags, The important thing for both groups is to remember to adjust privacy settings. There is no reason to stay at an older Windows version unless hardware forces you to.

nytegeek, Jul 19, 2016
  18. Fuzyon

Oakat

Is it worth the price of free? Absolutely. The OS blends desktop and tablet aesthetics far better than 8 did. It runs better, too. If you don't have software/hardware dependent on an older OS, there's little reason not to upgrade. As @nytegeek said, just make sure to play around with your privacy settings so Microsoft doesn't share all your data with the NSA ... I mean, marketers.

Oakat, Jul 20, 2016
  19. Fuzyon

Kavon

I'm using Windows 8 now, and I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10. Windows 10 may or may not be better, I don't know. The reason I don't want to update is because I'm worried about compatibility issues. I've got many programs installed on my laptop. What if they are incompatible with Windows 10?

I'm also worried that Microsoft might have made some stupid changes. The only time I'll be upgrading to Windows 10 is when I'll get a new laptop, with Windows 10 already installed.

Kavon, Jul 22, 2016
  20. Fuzyon

bangtanboys

I'm still one of the few who is running Windows 7 because I just refuse to upgrade to Windows 10 (if you can even call it an upgrade). My boyfriend made the switch, and like I was aware of the kinks that came with the new OS beforehand, but now I can really give testimony. For one, it disabled his laptop's built in mic and now he doesn't know how to fix it. I've also witnessed his computer turn off keyboard commands, so he wasn't able to type. I'm not sure if these are still ongoing problems, but you can see why I am so turn off by Windows 10. Until I hear that it is completely bug free, I'm just going to stick with my 7.

bangtanboys, Jul 25, 2016
Ask a Question