Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by c-m, Feb 7, 2009.

1. c-m

c-m

I only recently received my AAO - andhave noticed a few things that lead me to believe that all is not well with it.

Firstly in both windows and linux I sometimes notice a blue mark coming from objects in the centre of the screen, almost like a blue dropshadow or ghosting. Other than that the screen is fine and is only feely appear when file browsing or when viewing text, sometimes the letters are blue.

Secondly, mine has a 120gb HDD, when its accessing the hdd there are not problems, but when idle I can hear a sound kind of like a tick or click from the hdd. Almost like the sound made when powering up/down hard drives.

Am i right in thinking that these issues are not normal with the netbook and that it either needs to be returned to the store or sent to acer?

c-m, Feb 7, 2009
  2. c-m

jeremysdad

The blue thing I am not sure about, but the click thing from the HD is a power/drive saving feature called Automatic Power Management (APM). To disable this (annoying) feature, you can install aa1ctl or quietHD. Both work well. aa1ctl includes other features like fan control, device enable/disable/ and screen resolution switching, right from your taskbar.

Thread with link and information about aa1ctl: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6063

PMing you a safe link to quietHDD.

These softwares will only work in your Windows install, BTW.

jeremysdad, Feb 7, 2009
  3. c-m

c-m

Thanks. i'm using Ubuntu linux though - it's not big deal i thought the HDD might be on its way out.

c-m, Feb 7, 2009
Ask a Question