Is this normal for wireless?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by brigzzy, Dec 7, 2008.

1. brigzzy

brigzzy

Hello all

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10, and my wireless is acting kind of strange. When I boot the machine, sometimes it will automatically connect to my network, and everything works just fine. but sometimes when I boot the machine, it's as if my wireless driver just isn't loading at all. I either don't see any networks, at all, or I can see all the networks in range, but can't connect to them. Is anyone else having similar problems? Is this something a kernel upgrade can fix?

I should mention that when I open up the hardware drivers app (system > administration > hardware drivers), the active driver says "Support for 5xxx series of Atheros 802.11 wireless lan cards"

Thanks in advance :)

brigzzy, Dec 7, 2008
  2. brigzzy

Andysan

Yes, if it happens repeatedly turn the unit off and take the battery out for 5 minutes.

If the problem persists then install the MadWifi drivers - search for MadWifi and you'll find numerous links on the forum. Postback with how you get on.

Andysan, Dec 7, 2008
  3. brigzzy

brigzzy

Well, the restarting/battery trick seems to be working, but is there any indication why this is happening?

brigzzy, Dec 8, 2008
  4. brigzzy

redbook

I found I had the problem with all linux wifi drivers, try using ndiswrapper and the xp drivers I have had no issues and on the plus side a much stronger and faster connection.

redbook, Dec 10, 2008
Ask a Question