Is this normal behavior?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by bob-o, Nov 14, 2019.

1. bob-o

bob-o

I recently inherited a Lenovo G560. The battery was lasting less than 30 minutes per charge, so I bought a new battery for it. I followed the seller's instructions about charge-discharge-charge-discharge etc and then just started using it and watching how long it was lasting per charge (2 1/2 to 3 hours per charge) and not keeping it plugged in all the time so the battery could partially discharge. It seemed fine.

The last time I used it, I didn't shut Windows down, just closed the lid, and left it unplugged. I assumed it would go to sleep or something, and not discharge the battery. But when I opened it up about 2 weeks later (I usually use a desktop pc) the battery was totally dead. It wouldn't even light up the LED that says the battery is dead.

Is this normal? If so, what's the protocol for shutting the lid vs shutting down Windows, and also for keeping it plugged in or not when not using it?
    Thanks a lot.

bob-o, Nov 14, 2019
Ask a Question