Is there no direct swap for the SSD solution?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Diversion, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Diversion

Diversion

There's not a 16g or 32gb SSD that can directly be swapped into the One without any modifcations?

Why is this? Is the SSD in the One proprietary or something? As in the SSD used isn't common?

I just would love to swap in a larger SSD (faster too since the 8gb is a dog) and be good to go.

Diversion, Sep 24, 2008
  2. Diversion

DHowett

You could cram a 1.8" hard drive in there and it'd be just peachy.. just connect it in place of the SSD
    or are you looking to save some battery ;)

DHowett, Sep 24, 2008
  3. Diversion

Diversion

Well, i'd just like to be able to swap a faster, more capacity SSD in place of the existing SSD so that there's no "hacking" and case modification needing to be done. . It would just be nice to directly swap the SSD with a nicer/bigger one.

This 8gb isn't going to cut it.. and it hangs under WindowsXP like nobody's business.. At first I thought Atom processors were just junk until I read that the SSD is the cause of the hangs, not the CPU.

I guess i'll have to put in a 1.8" HD to fix the problems.

Diversion, Sep 24, 2008
  4. Diversion

olavxxx

The thing is the interface on the SSD in the ONE is called ZIF.
    It has been used for microdrives before, like in some ipods.

There are very few SSD drives that can compete with the performance and power-usage of regular 7200rpm 2.5" drives(!).
    So, if you where able to cram in there a 2.5" 5400rpm drive (maybe from an external drive, through usb?), I think you would gain power :) or.. lifetime that is.

The regular harddrives have most powerusage when the head has to move in a large motion, but it doesent do this all the time.. (unless the filesystem is very fragmented).
    This means you will most of the time save battery with a regular HD, it will also give you better performance (though higher SEEK times).
    Especially writing to the HD will increase A LOT!

olavxxx, Sep 24, 2008
  5. Diversion

xraycat

I didn't need to hack or modify anything to put my 1.8" Toshiba ZIF drive in, you may want to secure it to the bottom of the motherboard with some tape though but it won't move around in there anyway once everything is back together. Nothing to cut, nothing to solder.

xraycat, Sep 24, 2008
  6. Diversion

olavxxx

Tape wont hold for ages.
    I would glue it, maybe with some sort of glue like.. car windshield glue..
    it is almost like silicone, only it doesent have lemon acid in it.

olavxxx, Sep 24, 2008
  7. Diversion

Diversion

Well, I got fed up with Acer's failure of the AA1.. I mean, how hard is it to just put a removeable plate on the bottom of the AA1 to allow for a ram upgrade and SSD swap? Sold off my AA1 SSD yesterday. Picked up a EEE 901 same day - night and day difference as far as everything so far..

Not hating on the AA1 or anything, I liked the LCD wayyyyyy better on the AA1 over this 901 ( much clearer and better color/contrast) and the AA1 is wayyyyy lighter than the 901 (mostly because the 901 comes with a 6-cell 6600mah battery).. .. but everything else the EEE 901 wins in my book..

Jay

Diversion, Sep 27, 2008
  8. Diversion

donec

I was thinking of adding a Ziff HD and thought I would mount it by adding a small amount of epoxy putty and before it drys screw a small screw into it to create threads then when the putty is fully cured lay the drive between the putty post and lay a small piece of metal across the drive and add the screws to hold it down. Should work well and be removable in order th change the drive later.

donec, Sep 28, 2008
  9. Diversion

melhiore

melhiore, Sep 28, 2008
Ask a Question