Is there a fan in 6 GB flash drive Acer Aspire One?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by bashworth, Nov 24, 2008.

1. bashworth

bashworth

I have had my Acer Aspire One 901 for about a month, and had no problems with it until last night. I turned it on, and instead of immediately going to the Linux desktop, the screen went black and it restarted (either 1 or 2 more times, I can't remember), and then finally started up like normal. It seemed like it was installing an update or something, even though I'd never seen this behavior, so I figured nothing was wrong until I was in the middle of writing an e-mail and the computer shut off. It's repeated this every time I've tried to turn it on since this. It lasts 30 seconds to a minute.

After searching the forum, it seems to be the fan issue, but I have the 6 GB hard drive -- does that model even have a fan? (And if so, what purpose does it serve?) I've never heard the fan, but others say it's very quiet.

Since no one else reported the restarting on boot-up, I thought maybe this was something different. Any help greatly appreciated.

bashworth, Nov 24, 2008
  2. bashworth

dirk

Are you sure you have an Acer Aspire One and not an ASUS eee PC ?

I ask as the 901 model is an Asus and there's no 6GB Aspire One.

That aside though, if the unit is powering itself off after being powered up for a short period of time, then yes, it could be a cooling issue. When it powers off, put your nose against one of the vents and carefully smell it. If it seems hot, or smells like an electric or ceramic heater, then it could be running too hot - I dont really know how to describe the smell of an overheating CPU.

I'd recommend taking it for warranty repair, if it's still under warranty.

dirk, Nov 24, 2008
Ask a Question