Is there a better OS?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by makkax1, Aug 22, 2008.

1. makkax1

makkax1

I've had my 120GB 512MB Linpus One for a couple of days now and for browsing the internet or basic office tasks it's fine but I want to do more and I'm struggling with Linpus. I know it's supposed to be much cheaper/ faster/ kinder to pandas than Windows but it's bloody hard to use. Things which I thought were easy in Windows such as installing / finding software, customising your desktop, transferring files between computers or even just finding files are difficult for me. I have to Google everything or search on here and everything seems to involve typing commands, I haven't done that since doing pokes on my Spectrum 48K+ about 25 years ago and I can't be arsed with it now. So I want to know is there an easier to use Linux OS (more like Windows) or should I just whack XP on it and go back to what I know?
    Or maybe you think Linpus will improve with updates?

makkax1, Aug 22, 2008
  2. makkax1

glibdud

A lot of the Linux folks install Ubuntu. There's a separate forum for that, with lots of info. It's not exactly plug and play... there's some tweaking that needs to be done, which does involve some command-line work. And there are a couple of lingering issues with sound and suspend/hibernate. Once you get past that, though, you have user-friendliness, configurability, and large user base of Ubuntu.

But if you don't want to have to deal with any behind-the-scenes crap at all, Windows is probably your best option.

glibdud, Aug 22, 2008
Ask a Question