Is there a better file manager?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by thepyawkt, Aug 12, 2008.

1. thepyawkt

thepyawkt

Hi again,

Does any one know of either a better file manager or a way to make the existing one "smarter"? The included file manager on the AAO does not have a link to search/work with network drives, and just seems a little weak. Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks!

~R.

thepyawkt, Aug 12, 2008
  2. thepyawkt

gerarddelafas

gerarddelafas, Aug 13, 2008
  3. thepyawkt

retsaw

gerarddelafas: There is a big difference between file managers and package managers and the thread you linked is discussing the package manager.

You can try out the KDE and GNOME file managers to see if they do what you want. The KDE file manager is Konqueror is very good IMO, but I don't know how well it will integrate with the XFCE desktop. The GNOME file manager is called Nautilus, it will probably work better with XFCE, but I don't know a lot about it since I use KDE on my main Linux desktop. Try installing them both and see which works better for you.

retsaw, Aug 13, 2008
  4. thepyawkt

KGB

For nautilus my test "on the fly" shows an unsolved dependicy in the packes that prevents pirut(yum from a successful install (Acer has patched a library in Linpus and nautilus depends on an updated version). On the fly I was not able to install nautilus. Maybe there is a way in packed pinning to solve that issue - but from my experience such tricks causes other "collateral" damages.

Not sure, whether konqueror causes the same trouble.

KGB, Aug 13, 2008
  5. thepyawkt

hasfrochbuster

Why don't you install the old console one MC.

Maybe is not cutting edge, but rock solid :p

Getting serius, I'm sure that "konqueror" will fill your needs, but I think that the dependecies will be high.

hasfrochbuster, Aug 21, 2008
  6. thepyawkt

DaiLaughing

While trying to get Nautilus working I read about pcmanfm and found it was already installed but for some reason didn't launch. So I uninstalled it (Add/Remove) and reinstalled it and it worked fine. Seems worth a try.

DaiLaughing, Aug 24, 2008
  7. thepyawkt

IMSancho

I'm using Konqueror on my one and imo it's the best linux file manager around, easily works with files, navigate straight to windows shares with "smb://<IP address>" and even work over SSH links with "fish://<IP address>"

IMSancho, Aug 24, 2008
  8. thepyawkt

altimar

Code:
    yum install kdebase

Download size: 55M

Go for it. As a longtime KDE user, I was more than happy to also get kate, konsole, and klipper.

altimar, Aug 25, 2008
Ask a Question