Is the earth pin neccesary?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by madd0ct0r, Sep 21, 2010.

1. madd0ct0r

madd0ct0r

Just moved from the UK to Vietnam.

the uk lug is three pin (type G)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

Vietnamese sockets fit both type A and Type C plugs

the feed into the brick is a three pin cloverleaf/mickey mouse
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29240

it's currently plugged into a dead simple adaptor.

the charger dosen't seem to be working anymore. could this be to do with not having an earth (ie auto-cut safety feature) ?

Can I make it work without the earth?

I was hoping to chop the uk pin off and just put a standard Vietnamese plug (type c) on so I don't need an adaptor for the next few years. the earth wire would be cut short and ignored.

madd0ct0r, Sep 21, 2010
  2. madd0ct0r

Forone

Hope you get a response with more direct international experience.

My North American situation for several years was living in an old house not wired for "ground" and having old two-pin wall sockets. Instead of filing the third plug pin off, I installed a three pin wall socket with, of course, only the two live AC wires to connect to it, so that the ground was unused but the holes were there for three-pin grounded plugs.

I used a surge-protected power bar for the computer and peripherals, which were all three pin - it seems to me you would want this between your computer and an unprotected wall socket. This worked fine as long as I was there. (I have a habit of unplugging sensitive electronics during lightening storms after having a laptop fried by one.)

Forone, Sep 21, 2010
  3. madd0ct0r

madd0ct0r

When I first plugged it in, no joy.

last night I tried putting the plug in upside down (two pin remember). This morning I have a fully charged lapt''op.

Presumably something in the brick.

So, plug swap operation will proceed nurse, but labelling 'this way up' may be necessary.

madd0ct0r, Sep 22, 2010
Ask a Question