Is the AOA150 Aspire One capable of AHCI?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by pixaspire, Oct 15, 2010.

1. pixaspire

pixaspire

Hi there,

can anyone tell, if the AOA150 is capable of AHCI? There is no option in the bios to en- or disbale AHCI (besides, I've never come across a bios with so few options :shock: ).

If it IS, how can I tell it is enabled in Windows? At the moment there's not a single entry in the hardware manager stating AHCI in any way. I am running Windows 7. Hmmmm...

Thanks in advance
    pixaspire

pixaspire, Oct 15, 2010
  2. pixaspire

ZG5Nissan

I'm curious as to why? I haven't played around in the bios in mine enough to even notice if its there or not. Speaking from what I know about building a few gaming computers I know Intel recommends RAID and that ACHI is enabled by default. Problem is that since your OS is already installed then you could have some random miscellaneous issues with stuff not working right. Probably the best bet would either be an Intel forum or whoever manufactured the bios.

ZG5Nissan, Oct 15, 2010
  3. pixaspire

ZG5Nissan

I think the bios is phoenix/award whichever, I've flashed quite a few bios lately but check your bios version, it might be an option in an updated version, not sure though.

ZG5Nissan, Oct 15, 2010
  4. pixaspire

pixaspire

Thanks, ZG5Nissan.

I want to be sure AHCI is enabled, since it speeds up drive performance quite a bit. As far as I know I have the latest BIOS installed (3310) and there's no such option. Also I can't find any information whether the Intel 945 Express Chipset is capable of AHCI anyway.

Does anybody know?

pixaspire, Oct 18, 2010
  5. pixaspire

ZG5Nissan

As far as I know it should already be enabled since you are running windows 7. Some say windows 7 will not load without it and some say it does. I do know that it will increase boot time as I tried it on my gaming computer and found this irritating. Boot time went from 9 seconds to 16 seconds so I would hate to see it on a "normal" computer as I've heard normal boot times of 20-40 seconds. Check out these 2 sites:

http://www.spectraelite.com/blog/how-to ... ows-7.html

http://mobile.associatedcontent.com/art ... puter.html

Also a good way to help clean the "junk" that slows a computer is google: windows live one care safety scanner. Cleans and fixes registry, viruses, fragmented files, etc. Windows 7 also has "readyboost" which can use USB sticks and SD cards as "memory" to speed up performance too. These will have to be formatted as NTFS if over 4gigs. Windows 7 is a little on the "plump" side and does run a lot more processes than XP so naturally it will be slower in these little netbooks. There are "look-a-like" schemes out there for XP that make it look like 7 but supposedly doesn't slow it down as much if any at all.

ZG5Nissan, Oct 18, 2010
  6. pixaspire

pixaspire

Hey ZG5Nissan,

thanks for the links and tipps. I finally found something interesting but sad in a wiki.

http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/10180059

"The ICH7M I/O Controller supports AHCI NCQ. However Acer has disabled the AHCI function in the BIOS. The HDD is recognized as a normal IDE HDD in Windows with lower performance. A future BIOS patch should be able to turn on AHCI, but it is fully determined by Acer."

Since the latest aoa150-bios has no ahci-option (I believe v3310 is the latest?) I doubt we will ever be able to speed up drive performace :cry: unless someone releases a modified version.

pixaspire, Oct 18, 2010
  7. pixaspire

ZG5Nissan

I'm sure there's a way around it to enable it but it may be more than what you're willing to do to it. Check out the hardware/software mods forum, there might be a solution over there, if not then maybe someone with more "know how" might have a solution.

ZG5Nissan, Oct 19, 2010
  8. pixaspire

AOD150

on the one i have now, it enable, because if i set from ahci to ide windows doesn't even want to boot in ide mode. So I have to set it back to AHCI mode for windows to boot.

AOD150, Oct 21, 2010
Ask a Question