Is the 10" AAO further from what a netbook should be?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by scwinn, Mar 10, 2009.

1. scwinn

scwinn

I think that my A110 is a perfect and useful computer. But is it just me, or does a larger more expensive, and more gadgety model just defeat the purpose entirely. If ACER was smart they would keep the 8.9 " models.

scwinn, Mar 10, 2009
  2. scwinn

jackluo923

I thik it's just you. Most people would prefer 10" screen than a 9" screen. If acer put the 10" screen on the original AAO, it would have been better. The original AAO looks ugly with its wide bezel.

jackluo923, Mar 10, 2009
  3. scwinn

DougHillman

It's not just you. I've been vocal here about my dislike for the new model (and pretty much all of the other 10" netbook options available.) Another inch or so of screen size means nothing to me without any increase in resolution. And it's certainly not worth the increase in the physical size of the case.

Yeah the 8.9" AA1 seems to have more bezel than it probably needs for the screen. So don't increase the screen size. Lower the entire form factor. My ideal netbook would be about 10% smaller than the 8.9" AA1, with the same screen and the addition of Wireless N and Bluetooth.

Are you fans of the 10" really telling me that stuff you're unable to read on an 8.9" screen is suddenly clearly visible to you on the 10"?

DougHillman, Mar 10, 2009
  4. scwinn

jackluo923

If another inch or so of screen size means nothing to you without any increase in resolution, then a inch or so smaller screen size without any decrease in resolution should be nothing as well. Some people prefer bigger buttons and bigger text and most importantly, bigger screen. Resolution isn't an important factor as long as the readability of text increase.

In fact, text on a 10" screen is about 10-15% bigger and much more readable. A bigger screen offers more room for a larger and better keyboard, better touchpad, larger battery and more room for everything else.

jackluo923, Mar 10, 2009
  5. scwinn

goofball

The pricing is the main issue I have. They are pretty close to regular notebook prices.

goofball, Mar 10, 2009
  6. scwinn

MParker

I think some of you have lost track of the original question ... Is the 10" AAO further from what a netbook should be?

If we can agree on the definition of a netbook as being a simple small 7-9" portable based primarily on it's cost, portability, and internet use then yes, 10" systems are a departure. And ... perhaps the more robustly configured 8.9" systems are too.

MParker, Mar 10, 2009
  7. scwinn

JimmiG

The 10" AAO is certainly very different from what the original 7" Eee PC was, there's no doubt about that. Is that a good thing? I think so. The 7", 800x480 display was too tiny to use some applications and websites (many expect at least 1024 wide), the keyboard wasn't very good, and if you thought the AAO has a wide bezel, look at the first Eee PC's...

It's not clear what a Netbook actually is, IMO. There's no official definition. According to Wikipedia, a netbook is a "a class of laptop computer designed for wireless communication and access to the Internet.[1]". They list screen sizes ranging from 5" to "over 13"" and a max weight of 3 pounds.

In my opinion, the screen size should be at or below 10.1", and the price should also be under $400, ideally under $300. Some OEMs, especially Asus, are trying to sell Atom-powered "netbooks" for $700. The Atom was never intended to go into such expensive systems and the performance you get just isn't worth the cost. You're paying hundreds of $'s more for something that contains exactly the same hardware as e.g. the 10" or even 8.9" AAO.

So IMO, the 10.1" AAO at $349 is still very much a Netbook. However, I don't think Acer should pull the 8.9" model. For those who want a slightly lighter, smaller and most importantly, cheaper system, it's a good option. Maybe they want to pull it due to profit margins? The 8.9" model was getting very close to the somewhat magical $199 price point. With a new design and bigger screen, they can once again increase the price to over $300 for the same Atom N270/I945 combo.

JimmiG, Mar 10, 2009
  8. scwinn

GvidoR

Grabbed from my "Aspire One Experience Blog"

"...Here's what I think: 10.1" is obviously more than 8.9" but it still has the same resolution - 1024x600 so that means the pixels are stretched. You are going to get a better, shaper picture on the 8.9" screen. 12" screen portable computer is called a Laptop and 7-10.2" screen portable computers are called Netbooks. If you have a 10.1" sreen, that's just 1.9" away from a Laptop! I think that 8.9" Aspire One is better because of the size (smaller), the screen is also smaller so you won't get confused between a laptop and a netbook, it's more portable, has about the same specifications, etc."

GvidoR, Mar 10, 2009
  9. scwinn

DougHillman

Yes, a bigger screen DOES offer room for a larger keyboard possibly. "Better" is subjective. Same with the touchpad. Is the 10" touchpad better? The battery isn't larger since it's interchangable with the 8.9" battery.

I've seen the new screen displaying the same data right next to the original AA1 screen. Again, I find it difficult to believe that anyone who finds the 10" readable really had any issue with the 8.9".

And actually, yeah, if I had the choice of an AA1 with all of the current options and an even SMALLER screen, I'd be tempted to buy that.

Of course, a purchase such as a netbook is very personal and subjective. We all have to figure out what's important to us and where we're willing to compromise in order to get the features that are most desirable. For me, a 1" increase in screen size without a res increase isn't worth any increase in form factor. And a screen size increase that I WOULD find worthwhile takes us into the realm of just getting a full-sized laptop.

My issue with the new AA1 is really a concern for Acer & netbooks in general. They are moving away from a clear definition of a netbook and muddying the waters. Size increase and feature bloat can run amok and leave us with no true "netbook" options, instead just a bevy of "mini-notebooks" The 8.9" AA1 has been the best selling notebook recently in the face of a bevy of 10" competition. I tend to believe that is partly because it's got the smallest form factor in a class of otherwise very similar products. Acer has truly benefited from this. When their product isn't appreciably different from all of the others on the market, what's gonna keep them the top seller?

DougHillman, Mar 10, 2009
  10. scwinn

JimmiG

I don't think the dot pitch of a 10" display at 1024x600 is much of a problem. If anything, it might be an advantage for older people or anyone else who doesn't have 20/20 vision. The dot pitch of the 8.9" model is 0.19mm, compared to 0.282mm for my 22" LCD monitor at 1680x1050. That's a very fine dot pitch compared to desktop monitors and even most laptop monitors (14" and above), which are almost always at 0.211 or above.

Either way, the difference between a 10" display and an 8.9" one is small both in terms of readability and form factor. It's nice to have many choices as long as sub-$300 netbooks continue to be be manufactured and sold.

JimmiG, Mar 10, 2009
  11. scwinn

scwinn

I broke down and bought a D150. I now can say with conviction that the D150 is a great machine BUT it is further from what I think a netbook should be, very inexpensive, super convenient, durable and flexible. The D150 is more expensive, less portable, a bit more componentized (which the "A" series could have benefited from) and not any more convenient or powerful. The "A" was a bargain and lived up to the intent of the form factor. The "D" is cute but in my opinion has moved away from the form factor's original ideals. That said I am starting a petition for Acer to keep the "A" series going.

scwinn, May 19, 2009
  12. scwinn

sdelliott31

I agree that a netbook should be under 10 inches and further should be cheaper than notebooks. Luckily I have small fingers so the AOA-150 is perfect for me. I figured when I got it as a gift that I would play around with it and maybe use it for college (I'm 35, but going back part time) and would leave everything else to my Dell XPS Desktop and its 24 inch screen. However, I started on these forums, and have found older games that will run on it, used gma booster for the video, typed numerous reports on it, partitioned and installed Windows 7, watch movies, while watching TV, use the EeeRotate screen rotater program with Microsoft Reader to read ebooks (which works perfectly), watched the Youtube videos and learned to install a 1GB stick of RAM successfully to get to 1.5gb, and then use eboostr with an sdcard for more ummmmphh.

All the sudden my desktop sits and I'm doing everything on here. I'm impressed with what this can do and be so mobile.
    One poster mentioned the bezzel could be smaller, and I agree. The screen and keyboard are just fine for me, but even a hair smaller, just and inch and it would be the ultimate. With no change in screen resolution, the 10in. doesn't make me much sense other than easier viewing, which is important too. :)

sdelliott31, May 20, 2009
  13. scwinn

CTS

I think the big advantage of a true netbook is the small size and weight, and anything much bigger than the 8.9" won't fit in a backpack or be easy enough to carry to give it any real advantage over a regular laptop. I just got back from a long trip and really appreciated the portability and light weight of the 8.9" in places I just wouldn't have taken a bigger one. (By the way: despite some naysayers, it seemed to work just fine at altitudes up to 17,000 feet/5,000 meters.)

CTS, May 20, 2009
  14. scwinn

jackluo923

Um... did you bring the laptop up mount everest?

When you bring it up the airplane, airplane is pressurized thus you're actually operating at sea level pressure or 101.3kPa.

jackluo923, May 22, 2009
Ask a Question