Is my netbook strong enough to handle Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by homersimpson7808, Jan 6, 2010.

1. homersimpson7808

homersimpson7808

I recently bought a AO751h with a 11.6'' screen. It came with Windows XP home edition and I upgraded the 1gb of ram to 2gb ram. I have been tempted to upgrade to windows 7 home premium because I enjoy using windows 7 a lot more! However, I'm worried that the 1.33 ghz Z520 intel atom processor might not allow windows 7 to run at an acceptable/usable speed. I looked at other netbook models... and the ones that ship with windows 7 have the 1.6 ghz or 1.66 ghz N270 or N280 processor, which are faster.

Has anyone installed windows 7 on an AO751h with the specs i have and found windows 7 to function perfectly? Anyone else who knows more about processors than me want to give me their input? Thank you for your time!

homersimpson7808, Jan 6, 2010
  2. homersimpson7808

MaLfUnCtIoN

i have a 751h with 2gigs of ram and a 250gig hd with the z520cpu. it runs windows 7 without a hitch. i havent had a freeze up yet in the 3 weeks since i updated. previously i had vista and it is much faster with 7. all in all, its definitely worth it to upgrade in my opinion. even video performs faster. with vista watching hulu was like a slide show but now its just perfect.

i worried too about it not being quick enough to handle 7 but i was told if it can run vista it can run 7 no problem and it does just that.

MaLfUnCtIoN, Jan 6, 2010
  3. homersimpson7808

homersimpson7808

Thanks for your quick response! is your z520 at 1.33 ghz? i looked online, and all of the AAO's that come with windows 7 are 1.60ghz or 1.66 ghz.

Also, did you have problems looking for drivers from the acer support website?

homersimpson7808, Jan 6, 2010
  4. homersimpson7808

Nambleruk

Looking at the spec of your netbook I wouldnt worry.

Win 7 runs on my AOA150ab ex linpus 512mb 120gb netbook solidly.

Drivers not too much of an issue, I had to look for two, the multicard reader and the sd slots (same driver) from jbmicron, and the latest graphics chip driver (which involved a visit to intel's site).

Have fun!

Nambleruk, Jan 6, 2010
  5. homersimpson7808

MaLfUnCtIoN

mine came with vista and runs at 1.33ghz, and i've left it at that (no overclocking for me). since mine is only 2 months old it came up to date with drivers and so far i've had no driver conflicts with 7. i havent gone looking for new drivers because as far as i know i'm up to date (i know i've got the lastest in terms of video, audio, and networking) and everything i use runs just fine with whatever i have driver wise. sorry i couldnt be more helpful on that question.

if i were you i'd do it. i dont regret upgrading at all.

MaLfUnCtIoN, Jan 6, 2010
  6. homersimpson7808

tttonyyy

I'm running Win 7 on an AA1 ZG5 with 1.5Gb/120Gb, works very nicely. Shame Aero transparency is turned off when running on batteries, but I guess that's to extend battery life.

tttonyyy, Jan 7, 2010
Ask a Question