Is my battery dead?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by daymz, Jul 29, 2008.

1. daymz

daymz

Hello,

I purchased my Aspire One and got it yesterday. Model 8GB SSD with Linux and 512MB RAM.

I installed the netbook, charged the battery, ran a few hours, and then proceeded to run AC-less and discharge the battery, which worked fine (a bit less than 2 hours). At close to 10%, the system shut down.

Then, I plugged the netbook for the night to recharge the battery.

When I turned it back on this morning, it had only 46% battery left (weird) according to KPowerSave. The battery LED (indicating power) is RED. A few hours later, KPowerSave reports battery at 1100 mAH and 46% charge.

But that is a wrong reading, as soon as I remove the AC cord, the notebook loses power (not going to sleep there, just no power at all).

I believe the battery may just be dead, after a single charge... I'm very happy with the product overall, but this is not good at all :(

Did anyone experience a similar thing ?

May it be a software problem ? I ran the LiveUpdate yesterday evening (before the nightly charge) so it may be possible that A1 no longer charges the battery for example, I know this is far-fetched, but I thought I may check here first in case someone noticed something like that (obviously, that'd be an obvious problem). I have an Express RMA option from NCIX (online reseller) but I just don't want to have to re-install everything again, sigh.

Thanks!

daymz, Jul 29, 2008
  2. daymz

osdude

that's crap!

I guess you don't know anyone with an AAOne with whom you could swap the battery and test?

take / send it back. Even if it's not 'dead' there's something wrong.

osdude, Jul 29, 2008
  3. daymz

daymz

NCIX won't ship a replacement battery only, but looks like Acer doesn't mind. My new battery should be shipping today, I'm keeping my finger crossed.

Another reason I'd rather only have the battery exchanged is that the rest of the A1 seems to be working great, so I don't want to be out of luck and receive a defective unit.. :lol: Says the guy who's receive two defective video cards in a row before getting a third one that finally worked. (about a year ago, I was furious)

daymz, Jul 29, 2008
  4. daymz

macles

You can get more detailed information using this in the terminal (Alt+F2).

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/info
    cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state

macles, Jul 29, 2008
  5. daymz

daymz

Most definitely. Note that I'm typing all the info (currently no net access on A1 since I'm at work) so hopefully no typo:

$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/info

present: yes
    design capacity: 2200 mAh
    last full capacity: 2041 mAh
    battery technology: rechargeable
    design voltage: 11100 mV
    design capacity warning: 300 mAh
    design capacity low: 81 mAh
    capacity granularity 1: 32 mAh
    capacity granularity 2: 32 mAh
    model number: UM08A73
    serial number: 04AA
    battery type: LION
    OEM info: SIMPLO

$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state
    present: yes
    capacity state: ok
    charging state: charging
    present rate: 0 mA
    remaining capacity: 944 mAh
    present voltage 11547 mV

Does that tell you anything at all ? ;) Besides that a 0 mA charge rate probably won't charge anything.

daymz, Jul 29, 2008
  6. daymz

Tybor

Hi,

I have a battery problem, too.
    I got my A110L few days ago and was happy everything worked (Updates, Advanced Hack, Install additional programs, etc.)
    after the first charge of the battery was over, i put it on AC power during night to charge it.
    But next day and all following days the battery never ever charged an is completely discharged!
    Powering through AC Adapter is working fine.

I have contacted Acer Support an now waiting for an answer.

gr33tz,
    Tybor

Tybor, Aug 2, 2008
  7. daymz

seco1976

same thing is happening to me.
    i'm running WINDOWS XP. But i think i had this problem on linpus too.
    in fact mine is not charging while the computer is off.
    only when it's running.

seco1976, Aug 4, 2008
  8. daymz

daymz

Looks like exactly the same problem as I got !

Let me know what happens with your battery and Acer. I also contacted them and Acer told me the battery was back-order (I suspect it's b.s. as they must be hot on production and especially orders right now) so they couldn't ship it as RMA to me right away.

So, I ended up swapping the entire unit at NCIX.com (the place I bought it from).

daymz, Aug 5, 2008
  9. daymz

nick_aspire1

I purchased an Aspire One about two months ago (the blue Linux version with an 8 gb ssd and 512 mb of RAM). I haven't used it for a couple of weeks, so last night I charged it to full power, but when I went to turn it on this morning, it would not power on! Thinking that maybe I the charger wasn't plugged in all the way or something, I plugged in the ac adapter and it started fine. When I got to the main menu I checked the battery indicator and it said that my battery was at 100%. So I un-plugged the ac adapter from the computer and it instanly powered off. I also tried taking the battery in and out, thinking that maybe it was not fully plugged in, but that did not work either.

So my questions are: do you think that this is just an issue with the battery and not with the aspire one? And if the answer to the previous question was yes, does anyone have any experience dealing with the acer support people? Is the battery replacement covered in the basic warranty that comes when you purchase the aspire one?

Thanks!

nick_aspire1, Oct 13, 2008
  10. daymz

bigriff

Bump Is my battery dead?

was this old issue resolved?

I have the same problem...

cat state =

Charging state: Charged

But it dies instantly when unplugged...

bigriff, Mar 12, 2009
  11. daymz

CodeWraith

I have exactly the same problem. Originally, the battery worked fine. Now, it will only run on AC power and instantly dies if I try to switch to battery, even though the battery state shows as 100% charged.

CodeWraith, Mar 19, 2009
Ask a Question