Is Linux Better than Windows and MacOS?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by OursIsTheFury, Apr 30, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury

I'm curious, can you Linux users "sell" me the idea of why I should switch to Linux? I have been using Windows all my life, so I'm curious about what Linux has to offer. Is it easier? Does it have more features? What's the big deal about it?

OursIsTheFury, Apr 30, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. OursIsTheFury

Sm0key

Is it easier - No.
    Does it have more features? - Not really, about the same, some more customization though.

The big deal is that there is no single version of Linux, there are many and I mean MANY distrobutions and flavors to choose from. If you don't like one flavor of Linux, you might like another.

It's completely free and some distros are so light they can run on virtually ANY hardware.

I remember there used to be a linux installer app for Windows that allowed you to run Linux alongside your Windows OS install.

Sm0key, May 2, 2016
  3. OursIsTheFury

nytegeek

It can be easier or more difficult depending on the distribution and what you are trying to do. As for features, yes and no, it really depends on the distribution chosen.

In many, but not all cases distributions and software will be free. The ability to run on low end hardware will also depend on distribution. Some accomplish this by using older kernels and others are compiled for older hardware. The older the hardware, the slimmer your options as modern kernels require things like PAE support. Also, keep in mind that getting it to run and making it useful are not the same thing.

nytegeek, May 4, 2016
  4. OursIsTheFury

SirJoe

Linux doesn't impose a choice. Since you don't have to install it on to your computer in order to use it, you still can use Windows or MacOS. There is a Linux distro for everyone's needs and taste, it's all a matter of choosing one.

SirJoe, May 6, 2016
  5. OursIsTheFury

nytegeek

I see what you are saying, but I don't completely agree. There are many choices, but not for everyone. Some people will be better off sticking with Windows.

nytegeek, May 6, 2016
  6. OursIsTheFury

SirJoe

It's funny that most people use Linux without even knowing it. Android is a Linux operating system. I think if people could look past the stigma that Linux carries they might enjoy it, but at the end of the day the most important thing is for the person to feel comfortable with the computer that they are using.

SirJoe, May 10, 2016
  7. OursIsTheFury

Corzhens

The popularity of Linux is mainly due to its free license. Unlike Windows or Mac which costs a lot, Linux can be obtained almost anywhere and since it is for free so there's no fear of violating infringement rights. Honestly, I am not comfortable with Linux since my orientation is Windows ever since I used small computers in the office. But take note that our Office in the office is the Open Office to save money on licenses. I have this feeling that someday we might shift to Linux to save more on the licenses which is now getting to be a big expense.

Corzhens, May 10, 2016
  8. OursIsTheFury

djordjem87

I have to say that in my opinion is much better and this is simply because it has many variates. I mean you can choose from many distributors. I like Ubuntu and I have the newest version. My laptop cannot handle the newest version of windows and I say, "No thanks anyway." It is almost virus free, I do not have anti virus for Linux and it is installed alongside my Windows OS. Not to mention how much space it takes. It is very good and actually very fun to use especially if you like to play with terminal. Sudo apt - get LINUX.

djordjem87, May 10, 2016
  9. OursIsTheFury

nytegeek

It isn't about stigma. It isn't about being free. It's a matter of will it do what a user wants with minimal hassle. Sometimes the answer is yes for Linux, sometimes the answer is no. I usually advocate for Linux, but it isn't for everyone. Some people really are better off with Windows, or OS X, or BSD even. Saying there is a Linux for everyone is exaggerating and truth be told what is being advertised as choice could also be shown as a fractured community.

nytegeek, May 11, 2016
  10. OursIsTheFury

IcyBC

Great questions! I am curious about the answers since I have heard so many things about it. My nephew even installed Linux Mint on my old HP laptop along side of Window, but I haven't had time to explore it. The computer also needs new fans since it gets too hot when I am trying to use it.

IcyBC, May 17, 2016
  11. OursIsTheFury

ZoeZoundBarrier

I would never say that Linux is better than either. I am an avid MAC user, but it does have certain features that can be of some use to you. I suggest that you invest in Parallels Desktop or Virtualbox so that you can test Linux out for yourself.
    Most likely you will come to the same conclusion that I have. It is neat to have along side other OS. I highly doubt that you will want to do away with a more pronounced OS that you are better accompanied with entirely to replace it with one that is somewhat limited though dynamic in teh features that it does provide.

ZoeZoundBarrier, Jun 15, 2016
  12. OursIsTheFury

UpgradeMe

It is a wide open platform. People make it for stuff people do, people that understand computers rather than people that have business interests in their models. It is people vs. corporate interest, completely different ballgame

UpgradeMe, Jun 15, 2016
  13. OursIsTheFury

nytegeek

Most of deployed Linux is by corporations for corporate interests. The point being, is that it didn't take off as a free desktop alternative. It in fact thrives when used for commercial interests.

nytegeek, Jun 15, 2016
  14. OursIsTheFury

SirJoe

That's the image that has been created but it's not entirely true. Try setting up a server then asking for assistance from the Linux server provider and you will be in for a real surprise.

SirJoe, Jun 19, 2016
Ask a Question