Is it safe to delete contents of Caches folder?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by Cathrach, May 4, 2016.

1. Cathrach

Cathrach

The Caches folder in my Library folder is 1.6 GB. Some of it is from apps like Chrome, Safari, etc., but others are from Apple's system apps and contain the files Cache.db, Cache.db-shm, and Cache.db-wal. In addition, I have a bunch of folders that are named TM followed by a bunch of numbers, and their contents are .dotx files, which are templates for Microsoft Office...Is it safe for me to delete these folders without fear of removing something important to my laptop's running? Also, will these templates restore themselves upon reboot if I delete them? Help is appreciated, thank you!

Cathrach, May 4, 2016
  2. Cathrach

nytegeek

Do you actually need to? 1.6 gigs seems like a chunk of space, but how much free space do you have? Contrary to popular belief clearing a cache will rarely do anything to speed a computer up, if that's your issue.

nytegeek, May 8, 2016
  3. Cathrach

b1gal

I would run CCleaner and let the program delete the unnecessary files off of your machine. Also, I would get the free trial of Daisydisk to pinpoint where most of your storage is going to and how much you can actually free up.

b1gal, May 11, 2016
  4. Cathrach

Sealpikachu

I always delete thay folder and so far nothing bad has happened to my computer. If you really worry about it you can go through the files manually but it is a lot of space. However, like nytegeek said, it will barely speed up the computer.

Sealpikachu, May 12, 2016
  5. Cathrach

nytegeek

You can use a tool like Ccleaner or do it manually. Unless you are low on space though, leave it be.

nytegeek, May 12, 2016
  6. Cathrach

GearZ

^ This. It is free and easy to use. I just run CCleaner periodically on all boxes and it clears up unnecessary files. With huge amounts of storage these days, it isn't real necessary, but still.

GearZ, Jun 2, 2016
  7. Cathrach

vinaya

I always delete caches, and so far I have nit encountered any problems. I have an anti-virus program that not only scans and quarantines virus and malwares but als9o clears caches,

vinaya, Jun 6, 2016
Ask a Question