Is It Possible to hhack a 10.1 Screen to an 8.9 Mobo?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by JohnnyCalifornia, Mar 5, 2010.

1. JohnnyCalifornia

JohnnyCalifornia

I was wondering if anybody has tried to hook a 10.1 screen into an 8.9 motherboard. I actually have an extra 10.1 screen, and an extra AOA110 Mobo.

JohnnyCalifornia, Mar 5, 2010
  2. JohnnyCalifornia

Swarvey Moderator

are the cables different at all? If it was me, and the cables & plugs were the same, i'd just take a shot at it, especially if they're spares...

To the best o my knowledge, no one has actually tried this, but there are several posts inquiring about the same thing.

Swarvey, Mar 6, 2010
  3. JohnnyCalifornia

JohnnyCalifornia

I hear ya...I would try it if I had all the parts, I only have some of the parts, and would maybe buy the rest if I found it to be feasible. Guess I'll just wait...Somebody bound to try it sooner or later I suppose.

JohnnyCalifornia, Mar 6, 2010
  4. JohnnyCalifornia

Swarvey Moderator

What parts are missing? a mobo, RAM, charger and monitor should be all you need to get a POST, won't need a wifi card in the PCIe port, shouldn't need the daughterboard for the USB's, card reader & HDD (depending on which model mobo you have), the webcam and mic are not required to boot.

It'd be the same as strip-booting a PC without un-necessary addon hardware. I would be interested to see if the power circuit of the mobo can handle the larger monitor though.

I'm actually gettig pretty interested in this.. :mrgreen:

Swarvey, Mar 6, 2010
  5. JohnnyCalifornia

unp0ssible

i too am wondering about this since i have to buy a replacement anyway i entertained the thought of putting in a 10.1 instead of a 8.9 since they cost the same anyway on ebay.

unp0ssible, Jul 16, 2010
  6. JohnnyCalifornia

Swarvey Moderator

If you're willing to try it, see if you can get a look at the connector on the new screen first. You'll need a good high quality photo close up if you can get one, you'll need to count the pins, and perhaps check the colour coded wires.

Swarvey, Jul 16, 2010
Ask a Question