Is it necessary to install an antivirus?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Sefie, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Sefie

thess

I've never had a problem with my android device getting a virus or anything. So I don't know how effective that would be for other people. I've never heard of anyone getting antivirus on their phone.

thess, Feb 7, 2016
  2. Sefie

eProject

You must have an antivirus if you want to protect your data and other apps. Viruses can really affect your phone, steal your data or delete your data. I have installed the 360 Security Antivirus Boost and I can confirm that my phone works perfectly.

eProject, Feb 7, 2016
  3. Sefie

nytegeek

No, actually you don't need one for a smartphone in most cases. If you understood how malware worked and is distributed and how the operating system of the phone is designed you wouldn't make the claim that it is nessacary in most cases.

nytegeek, Feb 9, 2016
  4. Sefie

sparkster

Complete myth. Smartphones are much easier to exploit than computers seeing as they have GPS, RF, contacts information, text messaging, phone calls, etc and are rapidly becoming targeted more than computers. Any mobile app developer knows exactly how easy it is to rent a paid phone line and create an app which then texts/calls that number thereby making the developer a profit. I could make one now tonight very easily if I wanted to. Not only that, bu when the app is running on the phone it could appear to be completely legitimate. That's why Android apps have permissions which shows you what services and/or information needs to be accessed on your device before you install them.

sparkster, Feb 12, 2016
  5. Sefie

Charles Franklin

Thank you both, @nytegeek and @sparkster for the conversation on the topic. These are the discussions that we need to have as mobile apps. It's Google to know that Google has a lot of protections in place, but it's also good to know that you can address some of the security issues if you have a need or just want to.

Charles Franklin, Mar 1, 2016
  6. Sefie

Corzhens

I still have to install an anti-virus on my smartphone which is an android. But since I'm not much into internet so I'm not worrying. My only use of my phone aside from communication is Facebook, that is when I have nothing to do. But my husband is urging me to have my phone scanned for it might have some virus already. As I said, I'm not much into internet so the probability of contamination is very low. How stubborn I am, huh.

Corzhens, Mar 1, 2016
  7. Sefie

Krissttina Isobe

I believe it's good to have anti virus, anti spyware and anti malware on all your tech devices because it's so terrible if your information got compromised. Aside of having protection you get peace of mind with all sorts or protection for your tech devices.

Krissttina Isobe, Mar 2, 2016
  8. Sefie

acer93

I do have a cleaner on my device, but it does not work as an antivirus.
    I think I will give it a go, then we will see what will happen.

I use cleanmaster and it has its own version of antivirus.

acer93, Mar 17, 2016
  9. Sefie

hafiz93

I think it depends on how you use your smartphone. If you're constantly downloading apps and games, or just browsing a lot of random sites on the internet, then you should consider installing one. But if you rarely download stuff in your phone and you use it mostly for chatting and basic browsing, then it's not necessary to install one since sometimes they can actually slow down your phone.

hafiz93, Mar 18, 2016
  10. Sefie

Dilof

I'd say if you're extremely paranoid then yes; but I've never personally used one myself and have got on just fine.

Dilof, Mar 18, 2016
  11. Sefie

Fermin420

I love this question being asked. If you won't be developing and installing all kind of unofficial software in your phone, then there's no reason to install an antivirus. Stick to the google play applications and you will be fine, even though there are rumors being spread that the store isn't safe and what not, its not true.

Fermin420, Mar 28, 2016
  12. Sefie

cecejailer

Not in my opinion, no. I think anti-virus only make your phone more prone to danger... And most Android anti-virus as filled with ads and the ones that aren't are still really bad at keeping your phone safe.
    Unless you visit really dangerous websites, I think anti-virus are unnecessary. As far as I know, it's much easier to get a virus attack in a PC than a phone, mostly because the Apps we download have to be reviewed by Google Play before they're displayed for the public.

cecejailer, Jul 4, 2016
  13. Sefie

sparkster

Again, complete myth. There are plenty of malicious mobile applications, especially on the Google Play store. I know because I've seen them on there myself. It's actually rife for malicious applications. Smartphones and tablets are just computers in a smaller casing with extra functions that can be exploited. That means they can be exploited even easier than computers can. Mobile devices and app stores are a playground for hackers and malware creators. You will find that alternative app stores like SlideMe are actually much more security conscious than Google Play.

sparkster, Jul 5, 2016
    something back likes this.
  14. Sefie

nytegeek

That's not correct. They don't open your phone up to more danger. That is a silly assertion that I doubt you can back up. Despite what some will try and tell you they are often unneeded, but they don't make you less secure. There are several reputable products that don't pop up ads. Panda is a good one for example. Antivirus suites don't slow phones down anymore so it doesn't hurt to have one.

nytegeek, Jul 5, 2016
  15. Sefie

cecejailer

Okay you might be right but I still don't understand where you can get a virus from on mobile phones. Are they even compatible with Android? Are there viruses that attack SPECIALLY Android phones? If I don't download apps from anywhere but google play, is it still necessary? Can I get viruses from a browser or only dangerous apps? I'm not saying what I said in my previous post is correct, but I have yet to hear someone saying they got a virus from anywhere other than bad apps.

cecejailer, Jul 13, 2016
  16. Sefie

something back

There are antivirus programs also anti-malware for android
    and google play is the place to get them

More and more malware is starting to arrive on the android platform

something back, Jul 15, 2016
  17. Sefie

nytegeek

There is malware for Android. It is possible, even if less likely, to get a bad app through Google Play. None of this is my opinion, it is known fact. I'm not sure why people want to debate it. What topic is up next? Gravity?

nytegeek, Jul 16, 2016
  18. Sefie

angela erin

yes it is very necessary, to protect your laptop you must install the antivirus.

angela erin, Jul 18, 2016
  19. Sefie

LGNPanda

Even though it may not seem necessary to install an antivirus, I'd still recommend installing one just incase something ever goes south.

LGNPanda, Jul 19, 2016
  20. Sefie

cluckeyo

Well, I don't know how necessary it is, but I just downloaded the free AVG and I'm trying it out now. I have not noticed it dragging down the phone yet, though I have only had it a few days. I like the principal of an antivirus. If it would work, I would feel a little safer. As I have heard that Android is prone to viruses.

cluckeyo, Jul 19, 2016
Ask a Question