Is It Important To Clean The Inside of Your Laptop From Dust?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by hafiz93, Mar 7, 2016.

1. hafiz93

hafiz93

I've been using my laptop for four years now, and I've never crack open my laptop and clean it from all the dust. Judging by how long I've had my laptop, I know that there's a lot of dust accumulating in there. So, if I don't clean my laptop in the near future, will it do any further damage towards my laptop?

hafiz93, Mar 7, 2016
  2. hafiz93

something back

It's not necessary to open the laptop.

You can order an air can from places like ebay, and spray the vents, always
    use the can outside some contain a flammable mixture.

Or go to a garage workshop, and ask to use their airline.

something back, Mar 7, 2016
  3. hafiz93

hafiz93

You can do that? I'm always under the impression that you need to open your laptop in order to clean it. I've asked my friend before if it's possible to clean my laptop without opening it, and he said that the dust will still be there if you don't open it.

hafiz93, Mar 7, 2016
  4. hafiz93

something back

Welcome to the laptop-forums site by the way

Yes by spraying into the vents from the outside of the laptop you will be reversing the air flow and
    it will unblock the the fluff and should clean the fan.

If your machine has the fan showing on the bottom of the laptop spray in there first.

The dust should be free of the fan, and vents,ok some of it will settle on none important components inside the
    laptop.

something back, Mar 7, 2016
  5. hafiz93

SirJoe

It's easier to do on older computers, most modern computers are completely solid underneath, so if you want to get to the cooler you have to go through the top. This means you have to pull the whole computer apart to get to it. It's always a risk unless you are a professional.

SirJoe, Mar 7, 2016
  6. hafiz93

Corzhens

I also do not open my laptop for cleaning because something might go wrong and I might be able to put it back properly. But I saw the tech in the office using the vacuum cleaner running in reverse (works like a blower). I did not ask about it but now I'm thinking that maybe he was doing it to clean out the dust inside. An aerosol cleaner looks neat because of the portability.

Corzhens, Mar 7, 2016
  7. hafiz93

Sefie

I agree, one of those compressed air cans will do the trick. I didn't use one when I had my first laptop as a result I had to buy a new keyboard for it :( I really recommended it even if you don't eat any where near the laptop.

Sefie, Mar 9, 2016
  8. hafiz93

IcyBC

I also use the compress air can to just blowing out the dust, especially when I feel as if my laptop is running too slow. I also clean my keyboard since there is too much dust and crumb seem to collect in the cracks!

IcyBC, Mar 9, 2016
  9. hafiz93

hafiz93

I've seen my friend do it multiple times before. He'll open the laptop and then he'll blow out the dust before putting it all back together. Honestly, It doesn't seem very hard to me but like you said, my laptop is quite old so maybe it's not that hard compared to newer laptops. But based on the suggestions so far, I'm definitely gonna get one of those air cans and blow out the dust without opening it:).

hafiz93, Mar 9, 2016
  10. hafiz93

nytegeek

The best way to clean a laptop is with compressed air and to just blow out the vents. You shouldn't need to take it apart in most cases. Don't ever use any type of vacuum cleaner, large or small.

nytegeek, Mar 9, 2016
  11. hafiz93

SirJoe

Good choice, modern computers only have a handful of screws and are held together by clips. Sometimes the right amount of pressure has to be applied in order for them to be opened. It can be painful to see the whole creek and crackle when you are pulling it apart.

Just a side note.

If the underside of your laptop is like this

[​IMG]

You probably can access the fan but if it looks like this

[​IMG]

you will have to go in through the top.

SirJoe, Mar 9, 2016
  12. hafiz93

vinaya

My laptop back looks the in the first photo. However, I have never opened my laptop myself. I have taken my laptop to the mechanic only once when my hard disk was corrupted by a virus. I think my laptop also needs cleaning because I have been using my laptop since a long time and it has never been cleaned.

vinaya, Mar 10, 2016
  13. hafiz93

nytegeek

@SirJoe There are many modern laptops that have much more than a handful of screws to contend with. HP has one on the market right now that requires a break down with more than 50 screws just to add additional ram.

nytegeek, Mar 10, 2016
  14. hafiz93

djtech

Don't open up your laptop unless you know exactly what you're doing. Like others have mentioned, you can use an air can. Also, I have used a soft shaving brush in the past to clean it thoroughly mainly because those kinds of brushes don't generate static.I have also found that its always better to get it professionally cleaned since a professional will do a much better job despite the expense.

djtech, Mar 10, 2016
Ask a Question