Is it good idea to replace laptop's fan by bigger one ?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by f_sn, Mar 3, 2016.

1. f_sn

f_sn

There are nasty fan inside of my laptop. The fan is loud and sound is nasty and works always (its such model of laptop), so I want to remove bottom of the laptop's corpus and may be top of the cooling pad and use the pad instead of internal cooler (which I will plug out). I have AMD.
    I think that this may work because: fan inside laptop blows at radiator (which is on another end of copper pipe), not right at place where processors located. And I want big fan that will blow right at those part of cooling system where processors located. I'm not gonna remove copper pipe, just plug out default fan and use pad's instead so that it will blow at cooling system from the bottom.
    I'm gonna use pad with 220-250 mm fan.
    What do you think ?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    f_sn, Mar 3, 2016
  2. f_sn

Corzhens

I'm not a tech but I have some little knowledge with the hardware. The computer has a design and the components are based on the design. So if your laptop has a small fan then I think it is unwise to replace that small fan with a bigger fan. There may be complications like a busted fuse due to the bigger wattage consumption or the bigger fan has too much air. I don't know exactly but I'm sure that it is better to just stick with the original design of your laptop.

Corzhens, Mar 3, 2016
  3. f_sn

f_sn

There can't be problems with wattage, I'm just gonna plug in cooling pad into usb as it supposed to be.

f_sn, Mar 3, 2016
  4. f_sn

Corzhens

Oh, I see. Maybe it is okay but then again, why not replace the fan with another fan of its size but one of a better quality? But anyway, since I'm also using the USB socket for charging my phone then I guess it is all right. Maybe I should do a little research on this because it is added knowledge for me. That's one reason why I join forums - to learn something new particularly the minor things like this thread.

Corzhens, Mar 3, 2016
  5. f_sn

f_sn

Fan is OK, it's just powerful laptop with AMD processors (as known AMD are hotter but cheaper), doesn't matter which fan I will put in. As I read on forums its ok for powerful laptops to be noisy. But I want it to be quiet.

f_sn, Mar 3, 2016
    Corzhens likes this.
  6. f_sn

vinaya

I came to this thread seeking for answers, however, there are not any appropriate answers yet. My laptop fan make a lot of noise. My laptop also has over heating problems. Which is a better idea, replacing the inbuilt fan or having a cooling pad? Cooling pad may reduce heat but not noise. Please guide me.

vinaya, Mar 6, 2016
  7. f_sn

f_sn

Why do you think that fan is cause of overheating ? May be your thermal compound is baked, or there are lot of dust in the laptop. Open corpus of laptop, see if it need cleaning, especially check dust in the fan, ribs, ventilation holes. If it's clear then make sure that fan is spinning fast enough - check if you feel good airflow from ventilation. If airflow is good and no dust then probably you should replace thermal compound of processors with a new one.

f_sn, Mar 6, 2016
  8. f_sn

Personablue

Just like the above poster said, it is unwise for you to replace a smaller fan with a bigger one. It's not a desktop and so customization is limited. Still, its best to consult the manufacturer as they know whether you have the space or not. Also if it's making a lot of noise it's due for a service center. I don't advice to mess around with it by yourself.

Personablue, Mar 7, 2016
  9. f_sn

djtech

No. Don't even try it. Just buy a cooling rack or get the older fan replaced or cleaned. Laptops aren't made for that kind of a thing. You can also get SpeedFan which may help you although I don't know the exact specs of your laptop. You can control fan speed and what not.

djtech, Mar 12, 2016
  10. f_sn

hafiz93

Just get a cooling pad. Laptop is more of a one-piece component and it's not really suitable for this kind of customization. There's probably a way to do it but for me, the best way is to get a cooling pad. My laptop also has an overheating problem, but a cooling pad really helps in overcoming the problem. Without a cooler, my laptop has a 50/50 chance of shutting down due to overheating, but so far it's never happened with a cooling pad.

hafiz93, Mar 12, 2016
  11. f_sn

SirJoe

When I saw this thread I the first thing that I thought of was exactly that, a cooling pad. It can be really tricky trying to replace your computers internal fan.

SirJoe, Mar 20, 2016
  12. f_sn

Jonah_JJ

Doing some research I came across this website: http://laptop-coolers-review.toptenreviews.com/. They seem to have a lot of good information and make good comparisons between products. Take a look at that - maybe it's got the answer to your issue.

Jonah_JJ, Mar 23, 2016
  13. f_sn

SirJoe

These sites are invaluable, thanks for the share. Laptop coolers are one of those things that you see in the store but hardly ever on display let alone working. I think I came across one store that had one working with a computer onto of it I don't know how many years back.

SirJoe, Mar 24, 2016
    Jonah_JJ likes this.
  14. f_sn

Jonah_JJ

Thanks @SirJoe - happy to help out OP @f_sn. With so much information out there, too, it's hard to sort the good from the bad, so it's great that we can put solid information in a place like this and point each other in the right direction instead of sending each other on a wild goose chase :)

Jonah_JJ, Mar 24, 2016
  15. f_sn

spence88

Just a heads up to those who will read this in the future. Most laptops come with decent cooling solution that is enough to keep it running for long periods of normal use. If your laptop suddenly behaves differently, slows down or restarts every now and then and you suspect overheating, the best solution would be to clean the exhaust vents of your laptop. If it still doesn't work, then replace the thermal paste of the CPU and GPU. That would normally solve the problem. Cooling pads, in my opinion, COULD be necessary only if you're a heavy user doing tasks like video editing, gaming, modelling, programming and such.

spence88, Mar 30, 2016
Ask a Question