Is anyone's built in mic _really_ working?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by robo, Jan 30, 2009.

1. robo

robo

Mine "works", but not well enough to really use. The recording level is extremely low, and there seems to be no way to adjust it. Is that normal, or does anyone have theirs working better?

Thanks,

robo

robo, Jan 30, 2009
  2. robo

planetperki

mine is working fine.... i have no controls to change the input volume but it is at the more or less perfect level to use!

but then again! when i'm using my ichat or skype i use my external mic/headphone set anyway! i was able to use the internal mic to talk to my friend over voIP and he said it was a bit quiet but nothing that couldn't be sorted by his speaker volume :lol:

i'm using Kalyway flavour at 10.5.5 and voodoo kernel!

planetperki, Jan 31, 2009
  3. robo

cheops2006

cheops2006, Jan 31, 2009
  4. robo

SP1950

Hi everyone,

I have been looking for a auto-headphone switching audio kext which DOESNT SLEEP.
    I got many with auto-switching but sleeps frequently, and one doesn't sleep but doesn't have headphone output.
    Please help... Thanks!:)

SP1950, Jan 31, 2009
  5. robo

robo

Tried it, but it's basically just the same - unadjustable mic level that's too low. :(
    Also, the mic-in port doesn't work, so it's USB mics only for now..

robo, Feb 1, 2009
  6. robo

MTAG

Mine works fine too, no problems as of yet

MTAG, Feb 1, 2009
  7. robo

DogEater008

So I know the internal mic works, but have anyone tried to use it to record? For example using Microsoft Word to record audio notes..

DogEater008, Feb 7, 2009
  8. robo

robo

Heh, I have, hence my complaints about the volume level.

robo, Feb 7, 2009
  9. robo

rmancl

my experience says that it works, i can use it tune my guitar in garage band '09

rmancl, Feb 7, 2009
  10. robo

robo

Here's an example I recorded. You can get an idea of the volume level. I'm posting it because otherwise it's unclear if we are actually experiencing different volume levels or if what I think is too soft is adequate for others:

http://bobobox.net/~bobo/ars/AAO-audio.mp3

It was recorded in a quiet place with me speaking in a normal speaking voice, about 1.5 feet from the microphone.

robo, Feb 7, 2009
  11. robo

2manydjs

I have installed 10.5.6 and HDA using the dummy guide with the attached pack. My audio in is also non-existing. Nothing compared to the sample given by robo.. Does anybody have an idea what's different between the setups?

2manydjs, Feb 20, 2009
  12. robo

a2d

well i'm using xXx 10.5.6 - which didn't enable the mic - mic did not respond and produced white noise from the speakers when the gain slider was moved above 75%. installed the appleHDA kext from earlier in the post. my results:

built in mic shows a level but has no gain adjustment within sound prefs
    mic is shown in skype and works
    mic does not show in iChat - only option is to set up bluetooth headset
    mic works for speakable items
    mic can be used by sound recorder 2.1 to record audio

so all in all a mixed bag

HOWEVER as reported elsewhere the level from the mic is really low - it's a good level if my face is about 20cm from the screen and drops off rapidly as i move away. so for instance speakable items works most of the time with the machine on my lap, but not if i hold it at arm's length.

don't know how much of this is hardware and how much software - presumably i could try and source a more sensitive mic and replace the existing one, but my guess is it's the software that's the problem - getting a working gain slider would almost certainly compensate.

a2d, Apr 4, 2009
  13. robo

TantalusFld

My built in has very low level too. The mic on my wife's AA1 doesn't work at all. We both use headsets which work fine. I believe the mic jack interrupts the built in mic and inserts the external mic to the same electronics. This tells me it is the built in mic itself that is bad. Not the electronics or the software.

TantalusFld, Apr 4, 2009
  14. robo

jermzkill

last I check it doesnt work with iChat which is the only reason I would need it!!! I hope a fix comes, but I doubt there will be one.

jermzkill, Apr 8, 2009
Ask a Question