Is ANYONE modding the AOD260? 2nd PCIe Mini???

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by vader223, Jan 3, 2011.

1. vader223

vader223

I took a look around the web, and can't find anyone trying to do anything with the D260. I've upgraded RAM and have been thinking about cramming a larger HDD into it. I have noticed that there seems to be a second PCIe Mini slot right next to the WiFi card. Anyone know if that is usable? I have been looking at some other netbook mod sites showing how to replace the Kensington lock slot with and external antenna connector. Any thoughts, let me know!

_vader

vader223, Jan 3, 2011
  2. vader223

tryptamine

The second PCI-E slot is certainly functional. I haven't received my BCM970015 (by AzureWave) yet--maybe tomorrow--but have tested it with the AzureWave AW-NB307(?) I think a/b/g/n+BT3.0 (AR9285+AR3011) I was mistakenly sent in lieu of the video accelerator :roll: and it worked fine for WLAN (I didn't have a chance to play with the Bluetooth before I returned it, and having two of the same network chip on two cards made Xubuntu freak out and rely on weird combinations of presses of the keyboard Wi-Fi/RF combo to remove the hard block, or rebooting into Windows, turning it on and booting back into Linux). This is to be expected, of course, as the D260 comes with an AzureWave WLAN card with the same AR9285 chipset. I have read that the second slot is only a PCI-E/USB one, though, and therefore it also may be necessary to use the WLAN card in this second slot and insert the Crystal HD card into the true PCI-E/PCI slot.

If you're looking at a similar combo card to replace your current WLAN card, make sure you do the research and make sure Bluteooth/WLAN coexistance is supported by the appropriate drivers for your operating system. Something to note is that 3-Wire Coexistance solutions are supposed to be better than 2-Wire at efficiently sharing the antennas/spectrum between the two devices (this does NOT mean 3-antenna/2 antenna but rather refers to the pins in a board serial connection) and that chips with an onboard antenna design are available, though I have not tried the latter.

I will update when I receive the card, as the combo card mentioned above is PCI-E/USB rather than PCI-E/PCI, so I may have to eventually use the "tape pin 20" trick to get it to work (but I doubt it).

As for an external antenna, why do you want it? WWAN cards are the only ones I have read that would seriously benefit from having an external antenna or an amplifier.

tryptamine, Apr 4, 2011
Ask a Question