Is Acer shipping used AAOs?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by max_power, Sep 15, 2008.

1. max_power

max_power

Hi!

I got my AAO some time ago. Unfortunately it was not brand new - it had several "damages" that indicate that someone tried to upgrade the memory and the root-history contained nearly 1000 commands.

The reseller claims that I was the one, damaging the AAO, because they got the AAO sealed from Acer and I ordered a memory stick with it. (He also said, that now I won't have warranty anymore.) So I have to contact Acer.

I remember (but unfortunately I do not find the topic again) that someone here has written that he also did get an AAO that was already used (filled linux cmd history). So, is it common that Acer ships used AAOs or is my reseller tricking me?

I am rather worried, because it is really not nice to get a used AAO without warranty sold as brand new.

max_power, Sep 15, 2008
  2. max_power

deputyjones

I would be much more willing to believe that your reseller sold you one that was returned instead of Acer.

deputyjones, Sep 15, 2008
  3. max_power

soleblaze

Also with the filled root history, it looks like if you did a restore from the restore disc that you got a .bash_history file from the last developer to touch it. Not sure if that's the case with a fresh one.

soleblaze, Sep 16, 2008
  4. max_power

max_power

Even though it's an old topic, I can shortly tell the end of the story.

After some time and trouble with the reseller, my father brought the AAO back and said that he doesn't know anything, he should just bring it back. The people there were really angry and told, that it was obviously me who damaged the AAO (which was NOT the case). Finally they took it back but kept a part of the payed money. It was not too much and so my father guessed that they knew that it was their mistake.
    Well, I don't want to go through the trouble to sue them, even though they would deserve it. And, however, the price of the AAO dropped so much, that I could buy a new AAO with 1,5 GB RAM (upgraded by the reseller, one year of warranty) for less money than I paid before.

edit:
    Yes, now, I have seen that also new AAOs come with a filled root-history, I haven't compared the histories, yet. It seems that there were videos copied, I wonder why.

max_power, Dec 17, 2008
  5. max_power

chupachups

I doubt that any reputable company would ship refurbished units - its not worth their while to save a few pennies whilst upsetting their customer base

Suspect in europe this would be illegal too

anyway, I have just restored from the supplied disk and can confirm the root history contains 1000 entries, so nothing suspicious there

my history ends with

980 rm halt
    981 ls
    982 cd lib
    983 ls
    984 cd ..
    985 ls
    986 ls
    987 ls
    988 rpm -qa|grep kpowersave
    989 ls
    990 ls