Is Acer a good brand?

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by Davienna, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Davienna

Davienna

I have decided to purchase a new laptop and sell the HP Notebook that I currently have. My mother had an Acer laptop a few years ago, which seemed to have worked perfectly fine for her but I am more technologically inclined so what was suitable for her might not be suited for me.
    I do a lot of various online jobs, from transcription to writing etc. I use Skype a lot and I normally have several programs running at once but I still need speed. Now that I am also in the process of setting up a new business from home, I will be using accounting softwares.

Do you guys think Acer is a good brand to manage all that pressure and is there any specific model that can be recommended? Really don't want to make the same mistake I did when I purchased that HP notebook.

Davienna, Jul 25, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. Davienna

Corzhens

What I have is an HP laptop but I'd say Acer is a good brand. In fact, that was my target to buy before our company provided me with an HP Elite for my official computer. My husband is in the process of purchasing a home laptop in place of our old desktop and Acer is one brand that he is considering aside from the HP (which is quite expensive and beyond our budget). So if you can afford Acer, I think that's a good buy.

Corzhens, Jul 25, 2016
  3. Davienna

IcyBC

It depends on what version or what type or year it made. My friend loves Acer, and her first one lasted her for more than 7 years +. She bought the second one, and ended up getting rid of it. For me, I only have experiences with HP.

IcyBC, Jul 25, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  4. Davienna

something back

I have had great service from acer laptops,it's the make I look for

something back, Jul 25, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. Davienna

Davienna

Thanks all! Acer is now getting popular in the Caribbean so persons are a bit reluctant to buy it. The reviews have further boosted my so I will definitely be buying the Acer. I am still uncertain if what model I'll buy but it must be a late version.

Davienna, Jul 28, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  6. Davienna

Calin

I have a couple of friends who have a convertable Acer product (it's basically a Windows tablet with an attacheable keyboard). As far as I know, the only issues they have experienced were with the Office license, which has been solved in a matter of hours by Acer's employees. Therefore I'd say they are a trustworthy brand nevertheless.
    I'd be happy to help with the selection of the right product for you, if you'd tell me what you're looking for (build quality, screen size, weight, customizeability, budget etc.) since I have more than a bit of experience with these kinds of products.

Calin, Jul 28, 2016
  7. Davienna

SirJoe

I think the most important part of a laptop are the components of the computer rather then the brand name, but yes acer tend to be as reliable as the more well known brands. I do know quit a few people that have one and they are very happy with it.

SirJoe, Jul 31, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  8. Davienna

rz3300

Well I have had some mixed experiences with Acer as a brand. I have owned two of their machines, and one of them I went in not expecting much because it was one of their cheaper ones, which is what the brand is associated with most often, I would say. The other was a little more high end, though, but that is the one that really disappointed me. I would say that they both lasted about the same time, which was about a year and a half. That is fine for the cheaper one, but the nicer one I thought would last me much longer, so I was a bit disappointed with that one. Just do your research beforehand.

rz3300, Jul 31, 2016
  9. Davienna

Krissttina Isobe

I'm looking for a laptop too and found locally on Oahu Acer is cheap. I like a bigger than netbook size though like a 15" laptop. I have used hp, dell, ibm, apple and I found I like dell the best. Dell is expensive though. Acer is much more affordable, size is good and when I try it it feels okay. I do a lot of writing, creating books, play games on pc and surf a lot for research...Acer is looking very good!

Krissttina Isobe, Aug 1, 2016
    IcyBC and IBMPC8088 like this.
  10. Davienna

fcuco

As long as you go with known brands I strongly believe that all of them are equivalent, seriously, if you are in the market for a new laptop don't search brands, research particular models. Similar to cars it is all about the particular models: I had a Toshiba that was a piece of trash trough and trough, I went online to discover that the thing was an absolute lemon because it was the first model that they did with this new manufacturing technology and what not, my dad has a Toshiba now that is 5+ years old and works like a charm. My dad also had a dell laptop that died in 1 month, I have a Dell laptop that still works and is more than 10 years old.

Some models use different components, were done cheaply, and so on, research the model in particular, sometimes is not about the quality if the components but simply that the package they put together as a whole is not competitive for the price.

fcuco, Aug 1, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  11. Davienna

nytegeek

Acer is fine usually if you want to save money. Just research the model of Acer for issues before buying.

nytegeek, Aug 1, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  12. Davienna

IBMPC8088

Never been much of a fan of Acer, but that's just knowing their history and not being pleased with them using refurb parts and selling them as new for years in (what was perceived by the public) as new systems to keep prices lower than their competition. I doubt they do that anymore since the entire refurb market has taken off, and now there's a more acceptable market and labeling for that. Last time I checked, there was a change of hands at Acer on this and since that time, they've been using new parts (or the same quality and QC ratings as what the rest of the industry does now).

So they work, and they do run a little hotter than I like (not quite Gateway pizza oven hot, but still hotter than usual), but most of the models pack a good amount of processing power now too, and are not as restricted on access as some of the name brands who used to be better.

Acer's a mixed bag, and it's more about the model that you get and the assembly line it came off of than the brand name. It's an ok system if you want to save money and get more power for a lesser price. The older models seemed to break a lot under normal stress, the newer ones not so much. If you just use it in air conditioned environments and office spaces, you shouldn't have to worry about it and can get more for your money on that.

One thing I have noticed about Toshibas and Acers both is that they don't seem to deal well with humidity, especially on the lower end models. If you live in the tropics, you may want to take that into consideration along with the heating issues to make sure that you get a system which won't be as affected by heat and humidity.

If you're in dryer regions humidity won't be too much of an issue but the heat still can be if you ever plan to use it outdoors (outside of an air conditioned restaurant or coffee shop on a sunny day).

If I was low on cash and needed a laptop with decent specs, I would get an Acer before a Toshiba at this point. However, I'd make sure that I took care of it better than a more durable model from any other company, since I'd need it to last as long as possible.

IBMPC8088, Aug 1, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  13. Davienna

acerme2

I'm using an Acer laptop and so are most of the staff in the office I used to work for. Besides the fact that it is cheaper than other brands with the same specs, Acer is one of the most reliable brands. I specially like the fact that the model I'm using has long battery life which has hardly deteriorated after 2 years of use. I've heard of laptops dying on their users even before they reach 2 years of use and that can happen to any brand. I'll really feel bad if I spend so much more for a laptop then have it die on me before it even hits the ROI level.There certainly are Acer models that will fit your requirements.

acerme2, Aug 29, 2016
  14. Davienna

BlueText

Be careful with which Acer laptop you get. My mom got one from Best Buy and she had to take back the first one because the pad couldn't read her fingers. The second one only lasted a couple months and she couldn't get them to take it back. The company tried to charge her for fixing the computer even though she still had a year warranty for it. So read up on which laptop you're getting to see if there are reoccurring problems with that particular laptop.

BlueText, Aug 29, 2016
Ask a Question