iPod and Linpus

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by mdgo80, Nov 3, 2008.

1. mdgo80

mdgo80

Hi, i just bought my Acer One today and i want to know how to use my iPod on it... i have hear about some rumors of iPods loosing all the music in it when pluged in a Linux system. I am a NooB, i've using Linux only for 3 hours so i really need some clean help. (sorry for the grammar, i'm not a native english user)

mdgo80, Nov 3, 2008
  2. mdgo80

Guest Guest

Hello,

It's OK. The great thing about open-source operating systems is the mistakes are shared communally. =P

I thought I lost my music once. I connected my iPod up to my EEE PC and it read the music fine and played it. I can't remember what sequence of steps I did, but I tried using my iPod away from a computer and the music had dissapeard. But that was AFTER reconnecting to my other computer with Windows XP. But after searching around on the iPod (after connecting it as an external USB hard drive), I found my music! I had to do some folder modifying, though. Apparently, Apple made the folders hidden that has the music. To access, just go to Properties by right clicking in or on the iPod in your browser and change the access permission from hidden to read. Getting the music to play when playing on the iPod alone was a little time consuming, but it's possible. You just have to add each folder manually to an empty iTunes library and then resync.

I hope this helps.

And if you are going to use an iPod with Linux, I suggest downloading Banshee. I find it easier than Linpus' media player because Banshee lists all the songs,, unlike Linpus' media player which displays everything by folder.

Dan

Guest, Nov 4, 2008
  3. mdgo80

mdgo80

Thanks a lot man, i will try this and i hope we don't have anymore iPod accidents in the future

mdgo80, Nov 4, 2008
  4. mdgo80

normanom

Another you might like to try is Amarok. Easily installed from the Packet Manager. Not only will it organise and sync all your music but will also do the album covers as well. The context tab gives you detailed artist informtion from Wikepedia, you can set up podcasts and they will automatically be placed in the transfer to ipod section, and you can use the massive selection of Radio Stations or add your own if your favourites are not there.
    I am very new to Linux and not tried out the other apps but I am very impressed with Amarok. It does everything I need it to.

ATB

Norm.

normanom, Nov 4, 2008
  5. mdgo80

Guest Guest

Wow, that's neat - album covers, podcasts. That compatibility makes Linux seem that much better, doesn't it?

What Linux do you use?

Guest, Nov 8, 2008
Ask a Question