iplayer weblink shortcut on Desktop

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lscc61114, Dec 31, 2008.

1. lscc61114

lscc61114

:geek: Hi All,

A few months on and I'm very pleased with my AA0 SSD Linux, (although my first one died after two weeks), I like the fast boot and doesnt seem to slow down after use like my xp pc. The only thing I miss is being able to watch ITV catch up.

Anywho to my question :

I use Iplayer a lot, please can you help me add this to my desktop with a nice ICON, blingin helped me with adding an application, but how does it work with just a weblink,

Many Thanks for your help
    Dave

lscc61114, Dec 31, 2008
  2. lscc61114

markh

If I get you right, you want to put an icon that will launch your browser (firefox, unless you've changed it) directly to a website? And you already know how to place an icon on the desktop? Basically, you need to make a direct copy of your browser icon and get it set in the right place for you, and then edit its .desktop file. The "exec=" line gives the actual command that the icon uses, and for firefox you ought to be able to place a website in quotes after it to have it launch that site - so something like exec=firefox "www.website.com" (but obviously replace firefox with whatever the correct command in your original browser .desktop file).
    For the icon, you need to change the "icon=" line appropriately. So something like icon=/usr/share/etc/etc/filename.png

markh, Jan 2, 2009
  3. lscc61114

lscc61114

Thanks a lot Mark,

Do you know what size of image I need for the ICOn ?

Thanks for your help!!!
    Dave

lscc61114, Jan 5, 2009
  4. lscc61114

markh

I've only ever messed with supplied icons, which I believe are stored in /usr/share/pixmaps/, and most of the standard one's are 90*90. It should scale larger ones, though, and that might be the best way to get a good-looking icon.

markh, Jan 5, 2009
Ask a Question