iPhone development (SDK)

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by klatte42, Jan 9, 2009.

1. klatte42

klatte42

Is anyone programming for the iPhone on their AAO? The only reason I would want to run OSX is to be able to program the iPhone -- it would be nice to know before I go through the hassle of loading up OS X whether the AAO is able to run the SDK. If you are using the iPhone SDK, how long does it take to compile?

klatte42, Jan 9, 2009
  2. klatte42

Gosefroba

i have not tried it but all i know is that u need at least 10.5.X

Gosefroba, Jan 9, 2009
  3. klatte42

klatte42

According to Apple, you need 10.5.5 for the SDK for the latest iPhone release (2.2). The forums on this site tell you how to install and patch up to 10.5.6, so I think that's not the problem.

What I expect to be a problem is trying to do development using an Intel Atom. On the other hand, you're developing for a handheld (no compiling the whole Windows source tree), so maybe it's OK, if you're willing to put up with long(ish) compile times. I'm also curious if you need more horse power to run the visual layout tools, and the iPhone simulator... Again, there's a reasonable investment in time to get it all set up and try everything out, so it'd be nice to know if anyone's already gone down this path.

klatte42, Jan 9, 2009
  4. klatte42

onlineaddy

iPhone native app development is the sole reason I installed OS X on my AA1. I successfully installed using XxX 10.5.6. I haven't done much to fine tune my installation. But, when I tried to install the SDK, I got a KP. I've started a thread requesting for assistance. I'm using the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel and wonder if that's a problem.

Edit: This thread may have the solution to my problem.

onlineaddy, Jan 27, 2009
  5. klatte42

54patman

Yes it works and I even made a demo application run on the simulator. The only thing I have not done is hook up an iphone or ipod touch because I do not have one yet. So I do not know if it works.

It worked with 10.5.5 with voodoo and 10.5.6 with voodoo, but because of the update auto mounting and dmg package installs stopped working. So I’m going back to 10.5.5.

As for performance, it seems OK. I'm a Java developer and to me the tools seemed to be responsive. But, you will want the voodoo for hyper threading which is a huge differnce.

54patman, Jan 29, 2009
  6. klatte42

edgecrush3r

i've heard some people complain about the SDK breaking the OSX86 installation.
    Anyone who can confirm this is (NOT) true?

edgecrush3r, Jan 30, 2009
  7. klatte42

onlineaddy

Break it how? Can you be more specific? I was finally able to install the SDK. I haven't tried using it though. If you let me know what you've heard, I can check for you whether I see it with my installation.

onlineaddy, Jan 30, 2009
Ask a Question