Invert screen on a AAOne 532H/Win 7 Starter

Discussion in 'Windows' started by pablum, Jun 24, 2010.

1. pablum

pablum

Hi All!
    I have searched Google to find a way to invert the display as is common with other machines....
    I have downloaded irotate, installed the latest drivers etc (Yes, I have tried Ctrl+Alt+arrows) and still no luck!
    Has Anyone managed to sort this issue?, I really Must have the display upside down! also on its side (90°) too!
    Thanks in advance.....
    Gary

pablum, Jun 24, 2010
  2. pablum

Swarvey Moderator

Re: Invert screen on a AAOne 523H/Win 7 Starter

Don't know how far you're going to get with this, if anywhere at all.

For starters, Win7 Starter is a severely crippled OS on comparison to just about any other Windows system. On my old 150 (with much older drivers) I could rotate with CTRL+ALT+arrow keys. But now on my D250 (later drivers and Win7 Ultimate) screen rotation is missing all together.

Usually this would rest solely on the drivers, but in the case of a severely crippled OS like Win7 Starter it may or may not be so

So your best bet is to:
    1. Look for the latest driver release from Intel to see if they've re-integrated the rotation options
    2. Upgrade to a better version of Win7 if need be

EDIT: Have just searched the Micro$oft website, apparently Win7 starter does support rotation, so it looks like you have the same graphic driver issue that I have, which means it's all on Intel to develop drivers with screen rotation

Swarvey, Jun 24, 2010
  3. pablum

pablum

Hi Swarvey,
    Thanks for the quick reply and concise info!
    I am wondering whether to install XP on it?
    I have heard and read you can create a whole new set of issues and am a bit reluctant
    to do so as machine has no other problems!
    Cheers
    Gary

pablum, Jun 25, 2010
  4. pablum

Swarvey Moderator

In the interest of being able to rotate your screen, XP is your best bet. As far as I am aware, Intel still release drivers with screen rotation support for XP, not for Win7. I don't think you'll come up against too many (if any) issues running XP, my D250 came with XP after all.

Plus, the Acer website is still listing drivers for XP for the 532h.

The only thing I'd be worried about is that there were a lot of people complaining about the 532h (freezing issues etc), but I haven't done enough research or read enough topics to develop an opinion on whether it is or isn't XP's fault.

I do know that several years ago I had two Acer Extensa laptops that repeatedly and randomly froze under XP even with the OEM drivers. Acer could never fix the problem.

If it was me, I'd be torn between risking an XP install to get the screen rotation, or risking a hardware mod to be able to manually rotate the screen... Hardware mod would be my preference :p but it's something I'd have to fabricate myself.

Swarvey, Jun 26, 2010
  5. pablum

pablum

Hi Swarvey and thanks again for the info!
    As I am reluctant to wipe 7 in favour of XP, would a dual boot installation with XP
    affect Win 7 in any way? (never had dual boot OS before!)
    I would be using XP ONLY for Memory Map and nothing else, not internet,Wi-Fi etc...!
    I read the article on this forum here viewtopic.php?f=38&t=13256

Thanks
    Gary

pablum, Jun 26, 2010
Ask a Question