Inventor needed: Perfect Netbook Lap Pad

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Forone, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Forone

Forone

It became clear early on that a lap pad is almost a necessity for comfortable use, and I've been using a 1" three ring binder since I bought the AA1 last October. It is light and comfortable, provides a slight keyboard tilt, guides the power cord and prevents my meatware from overheating the bottom. But I have had time now to think about what would make the "perfect" hardware add-on, to do the things that the netbook form factor by its nature prevents, and allow convenient upgrading to features an older model doesn't include and avoid the running around plugging things in and out that netbooks in frequent use require:

1. Must be optimally lap-sized, light, comfortable, provide keyboard tilt.
    2. Effective (preferable) silent heat sink or (less preferable) quiet cooling fan
    3. Good stereo speakers, possibly a small woofer, with additional sound output jack for more
    4. swappable optical drive / external HDD (for the SSD units outs there.)
    5. Additional / optional slots for more USB (eventually USB 3), ExpressCard, 3G, etc.
    6. Supplementary battery (would replace those tail-wags-the-dog oversize batteries.)
    7. Built-in ac adapter with short cord to power jack, long cord to the wall socket

Better ideas welcome.

Forone, Jan 26, 2009
  2. Forone

Guest Guest

I found a nice looking cooling pad for the AA1 but I can't seem to find any place to purchase it. The product is called a Choiix c-hl03-wp. There is also a c-hl02-wp model that has usb ports in it. I emailed the company to find out where to purchase it at. I'm not sure if this unit would help with lap placement though. For that issue, I use my X-pad. It's the greatest laptop cooling pad ever in my opinion. I think their website is xpad4laptops.com. They don't have anything specifically made for netbooks, but I have their older (non-widescreen) model, and the AA1 fits in the center pretty nicely. And very very confortable on a lap for both notebooks and netbooks. Also slides around very nicely on tables on its soft cloth bottom.

Guest, Mar 3, 2009
  3. Forone

Guest Guest

Here is one that has some of the features you're talking about, but no speakers and no tilt.

Guest, Mar 3, 2009
  4. Forone

donec

I currently use a Targus foldable, with no cooling as the AAO doesn't need it and it is the only one that fits the spread across my legs. All others tend to fall between my legs. I looked at the Choiix c-hl03-wp and I like it a lot if it was just a little wider. I hope you find a good inventor so we can all get a good lap pad for our AAO's.

donec, Mar 4, 2009
Ask a Question