Interpid Ibex Ultra-mobile PC USB image

Discussion in 'Linux' started by mrs_miggins, Oct 30, 2008.

1. mrs_miggins

mrs_miggins

As you are probably aware, Intrepid Ibex (Ubuntu 8.10) was officially released a few hours ago. What I hadn't realized is that a netbook usb version has been released. Looks like an interesting option.

[​IMG]

Download the Ultra-mobile PC USB image here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/8.10/release/

Looks promising

mrs_miggins, Oct 30, 2008
  2. mrs_miggins

N6546R

It snuck up on me, too. There's a separate kernel build for the Atom (-lpia) that looks interesting.

You can take a look at the file list and download the image at http://releases.ubuntu.com/intrepid/ (look for the MID USB image).

I'm pulling it down now to play with.

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Oct 30, 2008
  3. mrs_miggins

lotus49

That's interesting. Despite considering myself well-informed on the subject of Ubuntu, I had missed this entirely so thanks for the pointer.

I am downloading it now and will report on how well it works later tonight.

One thing I hope it will do (although I am not that optimistic) is fix the suspend/hibernate problems. I am not really all that bothered about the functionality but at the moment they are worse than useless - they are positively dangerous. Earlier today I accidentally hibernated instead of shutting down and for the 3rd time it damaged my SDHC card filesystem so badly that even using fdisk and mkfs wasn't enough to get a working filesystem. I am in the process of completely blanking the card with dd - that's the only thing that has worked in the past.

As I have said several times on this forum, I love my One, but why oh why didn't Acer approach Ubuntu to get the relevant changes built into Hardy or Intrepid rather than hacking Linspire about to get the thoroughly underwhelming Linpus. I have had my One for about two months and still not got everything working and as far as I am able to tell, no-one else has got their One fully working with a mainstream distro. This has been very disappointing.

lotus49, Oct 30, 2008
  4. mrs_miggins

jango

Strange, i google it and i did find anything about it...

jango, Oct 30, 2008
  5. mrs_miggins

stiopa

i cant find any other version than desktop, server and alternate ... right now im testing 8.10 desktop but it is so slow, card readers and wifi not working out of the box ;/ like always :|

stiopa, Oct 30, 2008
  6. mrs_miggins

Guest Guest

I missed it too but I did manage to download the full release and get it installed on an 8gig USB stick. It runs pretty well from the stick after you make a few performance tweaks to the file system. Think I'll download the USB image and try it as well.

Guest, Oct 30, 2008
  7. mrs_miggins

lotus49

lotus49, Oct 30, 2008
  8. mrs_miggins

erikusaj

erikusaj, Oct 30, 2008
  9. mrs_miggins

Kjeks

Does both card readers work out-of-the-box?

Kjeks, Oct 30, 2008
  10. mrs_miggins

mrs_miggins

The screenshot and link I first posted is for the Ultra-mobile PC USB image. Some servers have this, some servers have only the MID USB image, and some have both.

The USB images aren't easy to find and not clearly linked to from Ubuntu's site, which I must say is strange. Description's of the two versions are as follows:

The MID USB image allows you to try Ubuntu without changing your computer at all, and at your option to install it permanently later. This USB image is optimized for handheld devices with 4-7" touchscreens and limited processing power. You will need at least 128MB of RAM to install from this image.

The ultra-mobile PC USB image allows you to try Ubuntu without changing your computer at all, and at your option to install it permanently later. This USB image is optimized for ultra-mobile PCs with screens up to 10". You will need at least 256MB of RAM to install from this image.

The second one seems more apt for the AA1 but both look interesting.

To find the images, go here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#mirrors and choose your nearest mirror, then look in 'intrepid' directory. As I say, some mirrors don't have both of the versions, just keep clicking the mirrors to find the right one.

Hope this helps.

mrs_miggins, Oct 31, 2008
  11. mrs_miggins

N6546R

Running it now off the stick. Seems a bit like Netbook Remix... I'm pretty interested in the kernel they are using (2.6.27-4-lpia), I'll have to extract it and see if it breaks anything in the stock 8.10 system.

It includes MidBrowser, which I hadn't seen before. Will have to try it on the stock system. It seems to be Mozilla-based. Wireless is not working OOTB. Didn't try suspend. Interestingly enough there's no 'off' button on the desktop...pushing the power button turns off the machine.

Perry
    www.kidpub.com

N6546R, Oct 31, 2008
  12. mrs_miggins

erikusaj

I just tried the ubuntu-8.10-mid-lpia, it runs but looks like somethign still in development, at least the window manager.
    Fonts are huge, so might be useful for my dad, but not for me. And I was unable to figure out how to adjust the font size.

[attachment=0:3g5zwbtw]MID-LPIA.jpg[/attachment:3g5zwbtw]

Boot time from USB:
    - less than 3 minutes

Hardware:
    - Both cardreaders work
    - No Wi-Fi out of the box

List of applications:
    - Contacts
    - Dates
    - E-book reader
    - Office Document Reader
    - Tasks
    - OppenOffice.org Database, Presentation, Spreadsheet, Word Processor, Drawing
    - Movie Player
    - Cheese Webcam Booth
    - gThumb Image Viewer
    - Alarm Clock
    - Bulk Rename
    - Calculator
    - Keyboard
    - Thunar File Manager
    - Foobillard
    - Frozen-Bubble
    - Neverball
    - Liferea Feed
    - Mozilla Thunderbird
    - Pidgin Internet Messenger
    - Web Browser (Midbrowser)
    - Ekiga Softphone
    - GNOME PPP
    - OpenJDK Java6 Web Start
    - StarDict
    - Mousepad

From my humble point of view Ubuntu Desktop is still a better choice...

erikusaj, Oct 31, 2008
  13. mrs_miggins

mrs_miggins

Agreed, the Ultra-mobile (not mid-lpia one) looks better to me.

14. mrs_miggins

lmelior

I tried the mid lpia one, since that was the only one I could find. It belongs on a smart phone or something, not on the aspire one. I was finally able to start my "Ultra-mobile PC USB image" download from ubuntu's official site, after many reloads. Why the hell isn't there a torrent file for this? I can't find it on any mirrors either.

Here is the URL for the direct download:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/8.10 ... c-i386.img

Good luck!

lmelior, Oct 31, 2008
  15. mrs_miggins

mrs_miggins

Yes, a torrent would be nice. The ubuntu servers are usually pretty fast, but on major release day (i.e. today) I'm sure they are getting slammed. Things will be back to normal soon.

16. mrs_miggins

Kallethen

Seems like NONE of the mirrors have the "ubuntu-8.10-umpc-i386.img" file for download, only the MID one. :(

Kallethen, Oct 31, 2008
  17. mrs_miggins

dr3as

18. mrs_miggins

JimK

JimK, Oct 31, 2008
  19. mrs_miggins

ginge

Seemed to install easily enough, and I like the look and feel of the umpc version, but unlike the regular 8.10 it looks like wireless isn't working out of the box. I disabled the atheros driver like you do in regular 8.10.. rebooted, and..nothing. Am I missing a trick here?

ginge, Oct 31, 2008
  20. mrs_miggins

jeffyeh

how is the umpc interface different from netbook remix? also, how do i use the .img file downloaded? thanks!

jeffyeh, Oct 31, 2008
Ask a Question