INTERNET SECURITY

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by alimac, Aug 28, 2008.

1. alimac

alimac

Please help, I'm completely new to Linux operating system and I've bought the Acer Aspire A110, do I need antivirus / internet security software installed.?? I'm demented please help as this is a birthday present for my daughter age 10 and want to make sure it's protected and safe as she will be using it on social networking sites and browsing purposes? I would really appreciate a quick response as her birthday is on Saturday (2 days time)

alimac, Aug 28, 2008
  2. alimac

3earnhardt3

No, linux viruses are so rare you'll probably get struck by lightning, attacked by a great white shark, and develop skin cancer from your cell phone before you ever run into one. But there are some programs out there if you wish to feel safe.

3earnhardt3, Aug 28, 2008
  3. alimac

alimac

Thanks a lot, your response was much appreciated and made me laugh too as I was losing the will to live trying to download software Cheers

alimac, Aug 29, 2008
  4. alimac

yodersj

Probably the most problem you will have is her deleting things, either out of curiosity or a desire to be neat. Read up on some of the restore posts just to be ready. :D My neighbor's kid (13) comes over to use my desktop occasionally, when their internet connection goes down and he has an assignment due. He's never batted an eye at the fact that my computer runs Linux (Fedora distro). Just sees that Firefox icon and off he goes.

yodersj, Aug 30, 2008
  5. alimac

Stoker

I'm a complete newcomer to linux. Could you give more information about these programs?

Thanks

Stoker, Oct 14, 2008
Ask a Question