Internet Explorer Faulting Pages for Bad Certificates

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ChrisJBrady, Apr 1, 2010.

1. ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady

Just recently my Acer Aspire One 532 has been playing up. Damn it - I've only had it for two weeks. It came with W7 and IE8(protected for the latter mode is set to Off). However just recently IE has been alerting me to out of date certificates for Yahoo Mail, eBay.co.uk, and Google. Checking the details of these certs. has proven that they are valid and are current with respective expiry dates well into the future. However the warnings are a pain with the URLs in the address field highlighted in red. My main Toshiba Qosmio laptop has never had this problem. What do I do? The only extra piece of s/w installed recently has been WOT. Maybe I should remove that. Chris B.

ChrisJBrady, Apr 1, 2010
  2. ChrisJBrady

cantifaeff

Check the Windows date and time settings.

cantifaeff, Apr 2, 2010
  3. ChrisJBrady

melhiore

Or install normal web browser...

melhiore, Apr 2, 2010
  4. ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady

Thank you - that's the cause.

However whenever I shut the notebook down it loses the date and time settings and reverts back to the default of Jan 1 2009 - everytime.

Hence IE thinking that all the websites I browse have out-of-date (in the future?) certificates.

There is a web site that should resync it - but this does not appear to be working. This is time.windows.com

Although I now reset the date and time manually to BST, when I shut the notebook down again it will lose this setting.

My Qosmio never had this problem - but this is running XP.

Maybe its W7 that's causing the problem?

Please can someone advise 'cos this is a real irritation and shouldn't be happening.

Many thanks - Chris B.

ChrisJBrady, Apr 4, 2010
  5. ChrisJBrady

greenfrog

Check the time and date setting in the bios. Also check the password settings.

greenfrog, Apr 4, 2010
  6. ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady

Thank you for that tip - however I haven't a clue how to go about what you advise. Why should I have to check BIOS settings? These should have been checked before leaving the factory surely?

BUT I DO know that the continual loss of the date / time settings ALL of the time shoulld NOT be happening and I am on the point of returning the damned thing to John Lewis and demanding a replacement that does work properly. It should not be me the - paying customer - who has to muck around with BIOS settings that I do not understand. Failing any form of customer support from John Lewis or Acer - and it is still under guarantee - then I will take my claim to the Small Claims Court, and ensure that maximum adverse publicity ensues via this forum, the web, and the Usenet newsgroups. I am less than impressed. CJB.

ChrisJBrady, Apr 5, 2010
  7. ChrisJBrady

ChrisJBrady

This problem has been cured as a result of the removal of McAfee (being replaced by MS Security Essentials), and the running the special rereg.cmd files from MS to re-register the IE8 dlls that McAfee screwed up. CJB.

ChrisJBrady, May 1, 2010
Ask a Question